Third Person

Bianca Lombardi and her daughter sit on their couch watching a movie.

Her husband and two eldest sons are away on a business trip while her twins are out with friends. Bianca's youngest son is in his room playing video games.

All are blissfully unaware of the dangers that that night will bring.

The mother daughter pair, despite the rising temperature of summer's evenings, cuddle against each other.

The sounds of glass shattering echo throughout the penthouse.

Their heads snap towards the source of the noise, the balcony. But all they see are the sliding doors open, its curtains blowing in the wind, exactly how they left it.

Bianca's blood runs cold and her son comes running in with a gun drawn, ready to protect his mother and sister despite his age.

The youngest Lombardi tugs on her mother's sleeve.
"Mommy, what's happening?" She asks, her eyes glassy and little hands shaking with fear.

"It's just the wind sweetheart. Roman, take your sister to the safe room and stay there. I'll c-"

Before she can finish, a gunshot rings out and a body near the balcony's doors falls to the floor, blood pouring down from his head.

Alina screams in horror and Roman takes off down the hallway with her in his arms and rushes into the safe room. He gets into the furthest corner from the door and shields his sister with his trembling body.
Their bodies are partially hidden by a cupboard containing necessities.

"Manny what's happening?" She cries.

"Allie we must be very quiet. Everything will be alright. Nothing can happen to you when we're here." He responds even though he's not entirely sure himself.

"Promise?" She sniffles.

"I promise princess. I won't anything happen to you."

Roman Lombardi tries not to show his fear in front of his sister. He's the son of Antonio Lombardi, he should laugh in the face of danger. But in reality, he's just a fifteen year old boy.
He's not like his older brothers who shoot their guns and can beat anyone in a fight. He sits behind a screen and works from there. But his technology can't help him now.

"Manny don't be afraid. You're the bravest person I know! If I don't have to be scared, neither do you!"

"Thank you Alina." He kisses his sister's forehead and his hold on her tightens.

The truth is that the little girl is afraid but doesn't want to make her brother upset.
How could she not be? All her young mind knows is that her mother is still out there and her father isn't with them. He's her super hero, he's always there to protect her, but he's not there.

Alina holds the necklace he gave her on her birthday. She hasn't taken it off since. Her father said it would always protect her no matter and in this moment, she can only hope he was right.

The siblings hear feet shuffling and orders thrown back and forth throughout the apartment, but no yelling or gunfire yet.

The young girl tries to understand what's happening, but can't. The best she can think of is another bad guy like the one who attacked her before Christmas has come again. But this feels different. This feels worse.

Hurried footsteps approach the safe room's door as tears of fear return to Alina's eyes.

Soon, Bianca comes rushing in and locks the door behind them.

The woman takes her daughter in one arm and embraces her youngest son in the other while whispering sweet nothings in their ears.