Chapter 3: Callsign and Dates

Classes progress steadily, and Nick and I talk almost every day. It's been over three years since that first night, and I have been falling hard and fast. I get out of bed this April morning and make my way to the classroom for our last session before they will finally let me fly. We get done with class, and it has not been a good day. I snap at one of my friends for no real reason and start to huff off to my house, but I run into someone.

"Woah, cool it, Rage."

I look up to see Nick, and he just smiles goofily at me.

"Rage? That's the best you've got?"

"It's pretty fitting right now. I mean you're just a little ball of rage, Nikki."

"Not bad, but could you stop being such a silly goose and let me through? I'd like to go home, please."

"Goose, huh? I like it! May I walk you home, hon?"

"I actually drove today, babe."

He looks at me trying to hide his disappointment.

"That's not to say that you can't ride with me."

His smile gets so big at that, you'd think he was a kid with me as his Christmas gift. I hop on my bike, and he holds on tight to me. We get to my house, and I invite him in. While we are talking, the house phone rings. I go to the kitchen receiver to answer it.

 I go to the kitchen receiver to answer it

"Hello?"

"Hi, sweetie!"

"Hey, Mama."

"Hi, Nik!"

"Daddy, hi! Are you both doing all right?"

"We're doing fine, Nikki. How are you?"

"I'm doing great. Nick is good, too. He's actually over right now. Guys, I really love him."

"He seems like a nice fella."

"Sweetie, that's great. Life is too short to have any regrets, baby, so we say go for it. We can't wait to be able to meet him in person."

"Soon, Mama, I promise."

"All right, honey. I do wish that—"

"Darling, let her go. She has a boy over right now. Nikki, just call us later, okay?"

"Will do. I love you both!"

"We love you too!"

I head back to the living room to see Goose has found my records and turntable. Elvis's "Love Me Tender" starts to play as I walk in.

"I never used to peg you as a romantic," I say softly.

He startles slightly at the sound of my voice before standing up and walking over to me. He reaches for my hand very gently before voicing his thoughts.

"I never used to have a reason. May I have this dance?"

"Yes. Can I ask you something?" I question as we dance.