Chapter 9: Secret Family

Leona POV

"Does she know?" Pete asks me.

"Yes, Mav, she met them. She is their aunt, after all. Have you told Goose?"

"Not yet."

"What are you waiting for, Mav? You fly like you have no one, and he probably thinks that's true."

"I fly like—what are you saying, Ang?"

"I think you're dangerous."

"Well, Rage trusts me."

"Has she ever flown with you?"

"Yes, actually. How dangerous do you think I am? Am I a danger to the kids—is that what you're saying?"

"No, I didn't—"

"Well, that's what it sounds like! Ang, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled."

"I'm sorry, too. I know you only take necessary risks. Come on. Heather has the twins, and it's only an hour drive."

"Let's do this."

We get to my sister's house in Maryland, and I see her sitting on the porch with two little five-year-olds.

"Hey, sis! How are my darlings?"

"They're wonderful. Hey, Mav."

"Heather."

"You know, these two kiddos are pretty amazing."

"That's all Leo."

"Oh, Pete. You've had more time with them than I have recently."

"True."

"Daddy!"

I pull Heather off to the side as we watch Mav with Penelope and Edward.

"Thank you so much for doing this again."

"Honey, it's no problem. If one of the perks of owning a daycare means even more time with my niece and nephew, then I'd say I'm in the right business."

"Glad my kids help you realize that."

"How is Nikki?"

"Good. They'll probably have a baby in a year or so."

"Oh, yeah? Is that why y'all are here tonight?"

"Yup. We can't stay too long though."

"Oh?"

"Yeah. Nik and I have a briefing tomorrow since we just got back."

"Oh, I see. So, what you're telling me is I get to keep them a bit longer?"

"We can take them in a few days, probably. We do need to tell Goose about their existence—"

"Oh, he knows."

"He does? But Mav said—"

"Goose met them shortly before you four were deployed. Nikki hadn't realized I was watching them, and—"

"She wanted you and Nick to finally meet. Makes sense."

"Yeah. Well, I've got dinner just about ready."

"Sounds great. I'm starving."

Nicole POV

After a bath, Goose goes to bed, but I wait up for Pete and Leo. I'm reading my Agatha Christie collection of the Poirot novels. About two hours later, they get home.

"You kids have a good time?"

"Yeah, the twins did too."

"Kids?"

"You two are younger than me, Mav. So, yes—kids."

"I'm sure you probably made one tonight."

"Well, you already made me an aunt. I think it's your turn. When are you planning to bring the twins here?"

"I figure after tomorrow's briefing we will know what we need to do and such."

"After I tell Goose—"

"Leo? You guys do—"

"Yeah. Heather—"

"But—"

"Nope."

"Should we—"

"Let's."

At the same time, we turn to Pete and say, "Goose already knows."

"What do I know?" Nick appears in the doorway wiping his eyes.

"I thought you were asleep, darling."

"You guys are pretty loud. Congrats, you guys. I know I'm six or so years late, but we also didn't know you guys until less than a year ago. I also didn't say anything because it felt like I probably wasn't supposed to know. Honey, I'm taking you to bed."

"Show me the way, darling."