Chapter 16: Hop 19

The next morning, Jay and I do the same routine as yesterday. Once the recruits arrive, we brief them. The only thing we don't tell them is who all will be up in the air with them. Gun and Candy are flying together, and I am in an A-4. Fox is lead with Beauty as his wingman.

"Gentlemen, this is hop nineteen. Multiple aircraft, multiple bogeys. The progress remains tight as your training is half over," Gun announces. We hear the guys as they watch for us before I announce my presence.

"Good morning, gentlemen. The temperature is 110˚"

Beauty leaves Fox to chase after me.

"Jesus, Rage, this guy's good!" Candy shouts.

"Damn, yeah he is."

"Bingo, Beauty's dead. You're out of there, kid," Gun reports.

"Okay, knock it off, gentlemen. Let's go home. Rage has the lead," Candy calls.

We land and take off again with the next group. Our total hops now is twenty-two. I brief them for the coming days.

"Gentlemen, tomorrow we will have six hops, and Friday the final three. Dogfighting will continue to be included in these remaining nine. Tomorrow, we start at 0600 hours, and we are finishing early to play volleyball. Please make sure to bring comfortable beach clothes. Dismissed."

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Volleyball, Rage?"

"Is there a problem with that?"

"No, I'm sure you have aplan."