Chapter Two

I walked in the school doors. I kept my head down as I passed by giggling girls and mocking faces.

I get to my locker and see words like "dork", "nerd", and "weirdo" sprawled across the front of it. Sighing, I get my books and close it. I'm used to this kind of stuff by now.

I don't particularly care about being popular. In fact, I don't want to be. Popular girls are awful.

"Hey Y/N, you ugly cow." Vanessa giggles as she passes by.

"Whatever." I mutter to myself. Vanessa was my best friend from kindergarten until middle school. Then she started hanging out with girls like Mackenzie and Isabella, and all she cared about was getting boys' attention. I've never been like other girls. I've always been a tomboy.

Walking down the hallway to my chemistry class, I struggled not to drop my 18 different novels. I like to read, I'm not like other girls. But that's okay with me, I like being quirky.

Nearly late for class, I broke into a jog, but alas, Vanessa saw me and casually stuck her foot in front of me. I stumbled, and landed on top of somebody.

I looked to see who exactly I landed on.

I gasped.

Oh no.

It's Austin. The school bad boy.

After letting out a string of horrid curse words, he pushed my itty bitty body off of him and I went flying down the hallway. Honestly, I always thought he was very attractive, and this only added to that.

But he could never like me. I'm too small and weird. I bet he only likes girls like Vanessa.

Holding back tears, I enter the chemistry classroom.

"Darn it." I thought to myself. The only seat free was one in the back of the room, next to Austin.

"Everybody take a seat." Miss Brown said.

"It is the time of year for us to perform our chemistry project assignments. You will be paired up with the person sitting next to you. That's all class, have a good weekend!"