Chapter Thirteen

A couple hours later, we were out of the hospital, and back at his childhood home, where we'd be raising our little angel.

I sat with my little bundle of joy, cradling her in my arms in our shared bed. I was starving, and had to manage to get food myself because Austin was out hunting.

I put Desdamona in her blue crib. It was blue because I was a powerful woman, who wanted my daughter to break gender norms and stereotypes.

Stumbling around in our giant kitchen, I started to feel nauseous and dizzy. Looking down, I noticed my skin had turned yellow.

I reached for the cell phone on the counter, trying to find my bearings. My orbs watered as my attempt to reach it failed and I fell to the floor gasping for breath, as my vision went dark.

~3 hours later~

I awoke, my vision slightly blurry as I blinked around, adjusting to the light in my orbs. Peering around the room, my orbs adjusting and focusing, I realized I was in a hospital. Glancing around the room, I saw worried doctors faces and Austin sobbing, while holding our newborn.

"W-w-w-what happened?" I asked.

"I regret to inform you that you have stage IV skin cancer. It's gotten so bad, it's untreatable. You will most likely not live past another two weeks." the bald doctor notified me.

Austin was sobbing.

"Mama" Desdemona cried, tears rolling down her small face.

"She's been saying it all morning," Austin said, through his sniffles.

"Her first words?" I asked, tears now in my orbs.

Austin nodded. That made me sob. Her first words were Mama. After me. I felt so loved.

The doctors sent us home with some meds, to help ease the pain of the cancer.

Pulling in the driveway, Desdemona finally ceased her crying. Austin helped me from the car to our bed, where he tucked me and Dessy in with a kiss.

"I'm off to hunt. I love you."