XXXIX. The Way Of The Water

Chapter 39,
    The Way Of The Water
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"MI'KAYAH!" Tikki screamed as she ran to the edge of the ship and jumped off.

The young girl couldn't lose her sister, Mi'kayah was all that Tikki had. Jake ran to the edge and looked down into the water, he couldn't find either girl.

  "I'm going to go in." Jake informed Neytiri as he looked back to his family.

  "No Ma Jake, you must trust Tikki. Allow her to bring her sister back." Neytiri responded as she let go of Spider.

  The human boy looked at the Na'vi woman in fear, before moving away and walking towards Kiri.

Tikki saw Mi'kayah as she sunk down, even though she was losing her breath, she needed to go save her sister. That's what their mother would have wanted. Seeing Mi'kayah unconscious was a heartbreaking sight for Tikki.

  Eventually she got close enough to Mi'kayah to grab onto her hand and swim up to the surface. Tikki prayed to Eywa that her sister would still be alive when they got back to the rock, she didn't want to be left alone in this world. Jake turned his head back to the water and was relieved to see the sight.

  Tikki called for her ilu, as kept Mi'kayah's head above the water. The sister got onto the ilu and held onto Mi'kayah as they swam back to the rock.

"What happened to her?!" Neteyam asked in fear as he ran to help Tikki bring Mi'kayah to the rock.

  "She had pushed Quaritch into the water and fell down with him. Our mother is gone Neteyam, he took her from us!" Tikki muttered as Tsireya ran to her.

  The news was heartbreaking, Jake, Neytiri, Spider, Tuk, and Kiri swam back to the rock. Kiri walked over to Mi'kayah's body and closed her eyes as she placed her hands over the girl's chest. At first it seemed like CPR, until Kiri's freckles began to glow more. It was silent before Mi'kayah's eyes shot opened and she began to cough up the water.

  "Tsumke, you're okay!" Tikki smiled as she hugged her older sister.

  "I am okay Tikki." Mi'kayah confirmed as she hugged Tikki back.

  "Are you ready?" Ronal asked as she walked into Mi'kayah's marui.

  The young girl was dressed in a black loin cloth and a black top, her hair was braided the same way Tsireya's was except she had a crown. It was time for the funeral of Leia and Saraiyah, and the truth was that Mi'kayah wasn't ready. She wasn't ready for her father's funeral when they had it, why would be she ready for this?

  "Yes, Ronal. I believe I am." Mi'kayah replied dryly before walking out of the marui.

  The whole clan was gathered around the water, Tikki walked over to Mi'kayah, and grabbed her hand. It was silent for a moment before they walked into the water, Tikki held onto Leia's body whilst Mi'kayah held onto Saraiyah's. Once they swam to the middle of the home tree, they began to swim down.

  "The way of the water has no beginning and no end. The sea is around you and in you. The sea is your home, before your birth and after your death. Our hearts beat in the wombs of the world. Our breath burns in the shadows of the deep. The sea gives and the sea takes. Water connects all things, life to death, darkness to light." Saraiyah told Mi'kayah as she braided her hair.

  The nine year old nodded her head slowly as she looked up at her mother, she enjoyed the wisdom Saraiyah bestowed upon her. Mi'kayah wanted to be just like the woman when she grew up.

  The sea gives and it takes, Mi'kayah could only hear the words her mother told her that night when she was nine. It was the only thing she ever wanted to remember. Once the bodies were absorbed by the home tree, the two girls swam back to the surface.

  "The sea gives and it takes, Tikki. Eywa needed them to return to her." Mi'kayah told her sister as they got out of the water with the help of Aonung and Tonowari.

  Tikki only nodded her head, not trusting her voice.

  The sea gives and it takes, it gave Mi'kayah and Tikki a wonderful home, but it took it away from them. Everything happens for a reason, and Eywa would never purposefully put anyone in harm.

As Ronal wrapped her arm around Mi'kayah, consoling her, the young girl could only think of one thing;

  Her future with Neteyam, and how she will continue her life from here.

  The answer to that is unknown to her, but she is ready. Mi'kayah te Sarai Ewan'itan was ready for anything.