Chapter 68 - Team Shokugeki, Start! ; Funny F-eel-ings and Broken Kitchenware

(Name)'s POV

I like when people wear clothes, I was starting to realize.

We arrived at the venue shortly where we parted ways with the adults and were ushered into a preparation room. And upon entering, we were greeted by none other than our remaining teammates.

"Isshiki-senpai!" Megumi exclaimed at the sight of the second-year.

The first thing I noticed were his clothes. Yes, clothes. It was odd enough that he was dressed, but his cooking uniform was interesting. He wore an ocean-green yukata with a white apron around his waist and a white sash, or tasuki, tying back his sleeves. It was a uniform not too different from that of the Homura restaurant, and I was reminded of how Isshiki specializes in Japanese cuisine.

"Hello, hello!" He waved cheerily as we crowded around him.

He rubbed Megumi's hair and patted Soma's shoulder, offering a nod to Takumi, Erina, and Mimasaka. I stepped forward to greet him as well but found myself hesitating. It had been a while since we last saw each other; there was no telling how he'd react.

"No hug?" Isshiki pouted, noticing my pause. "Aren't you glad to see me, (Name)-chan~?" Had it been anyone else, I might've violently retched at the 'no hug?' line, a.k.a the go-to catchphrase of every college frat boy. But somehow, annoyingly, Isshiki made it work; not to mention I did kinda miss him during my time away from the dorm.

"Heh. 'Course I am, Isshiki-senpai." I chuckled and hugged him in response to his whining.

He returned it eagerly, arms wrapping around my midsection, and I croaked when he suddenly lifted me off the floor. He seemed to enjoy lifting me up, I've realized. "S-senpai!" This situation felt oddly familiar.

I was about to smack him in the face while our friends laughed at my expense, when another voice cut in. "You kids are awfully friendly over there. Save your energy for the Shokugeki, yeah?"

It was Kuga, who lounged selfishly across the expanse of the couch that could seat three people had he not sprawled his (short) legs across it. He seemed awfully relaxed for someone about to go up against Central, and potentially Tsukasa, but I reminded myself he was also a former Seat on the Ten. And if my memory served me right, Soma mentioned how ardent he was on facing the First Seat.

"Hey, Kuga-senpai." Soma was the first to greet him.

"Yukihira-chin." Kuga acknowledged him, dismissing him with a wave. "Don't worry about Tsuka-san and leave him to me."

Soma, who wanted to face Tsukasa himself, merely hummed. This seemed to irritate Kuga because he shot upright and shouted, "What kinda response is that, Yukihira-chin?!"

Isshiki had placed me down at this point, largely thanks to Megumi's urging, and I too greeted the other second-year on our team. "How are ya' feeling, Kuga-senpai?"

He immediately perked up at my presence, a complete one-eighty from the stupor Soma sent him into. "You'll be cheering for me right, Homura-chin? They say it's good luck having a pretty girl on your side."

"Really?" I blinked.

Erina sighed, also used to the former Eighth-Seat's flamboyant nature. "He's just saying that--"

But I didn't hear her, already at Megumi's side. "Gumi-chan, you'll cheer for me, right?!"

"Eh?" Megumi stammered, blushing at the indirect compliment. But after overcoming her surprise, she giggled and nodded. "Of course I'll cheer for you!"

"Yosh." I clenched my fist, now pumped for the encroaching battle.

"She didn't answer my question..." Kuga pouted to himself.