Chapter 52 - Scouting the Competition

(Name)'s POV

Today we were scouting the competition, so we divided our friends and dorm mates into three groups with one hall assigned to each. With the Isshiki Rules now implemented, many of the clubs were stepping up to fight. My group included me, Soma, Megumi, and Takumi. Later, we'd report back our findings and hopefully have a better idea of what Central had to throw at us.

"So how are we going to do this?" We stared at the two bikes before us. We knew Soma's scooter could carry two people easily, but that left the regular bicycle for the other two.

"I bet one of us could ride on the back of the bicycle. It might be difficult to balance, though." Megumi pointed at the bar and back axles which could be used to balance another person.

"One thing's for certain," I pointed an accusatory finger at the redhead. "I am not riding with Soma-kun."

"Ohh~? Don't be like that, Homura." Soma sang, unapologetic as he sported a cheeky grin. "I didn't mean to scare ya' so bad!"

"What did Yukihira do?" Takumi narrowed his eyes, suspicious.

"Why do you immediately assume I did something?" All three of us exchanged a look that prompted an offended sound from Soma. At this point, it was concerning when he didn't do something.

"Sorry, Takumi-kun. I think you're going to have to ride with Soma-kun." I clasped his shoulder with a grim look. But I was secretly excited at the idea of sharing a bike with Megumi.

"Ehh?!" Takumi flushed red. Soma blinked once then mounted his scooter, looking back at the Italian expectantly as he patted the space behind him. But Takumi wasn't having it. "I am not riding with you!"

"I'll ride with him." My hopes were shattered when Megumi took the fall, strapping one of the Polar Star hard hats on her head and climbing behind Soma.

So much for riding with Megumi... I prayed Soma wouldn't play any tricks on her. On the other hand, I trusted Takumi enough to not betray me like Soma did when it came to bikes.

"I guess that means we'll ride the bike, then." Takumi secured his helmet and mounted the bicycle, holding the handlebars to stand it up. The three then turned and waited for me to join him.

"Wait." I gulped and looked at the metal contraption. I was supposed to ride that?

My hesitance must've shown in how I shakily climbed aboard. Takumi made sure to hold it steady as I sat, and he sent me a look of concern. "Are you alright?"

"Fantastic," I muttered, still fiddling with the axles. This couldn't be too different from riding a donkey, right?

"Don't tell me you've never ridden a bike before?" Takumi said, an amused lilt to his voice.

"Not like this, no." I admitted and placed my hands on his shoulders. "Hope you've got good balance, Takumi-kun!"

The four of us took off, though Takumi and I with a much rougher start. But he found his balance pretty quickly and soon we were riding side-by-side with Megumi and Soma.

"All right! We'll go to Hall C!" Soma called over the sound of the wind.

"Yukihira, today is for scouting purposes only, understand?" Takumi gave the boy a warning glance. "Don't take this too far."