Chapter 37 - Got Beef?

(Name)'s POV

I woke up at the crack of dawn the next day, ready to help Soma prepare for his battle. But the redhead was less than thrilled at my early clock and groaned when I knocked on his door. He eventually relented though and got up to brush his teeth.

'Ding dong!'

I looked up from my phone at the chime of the door. A visitor so early in the morning?

"I got it!" I told Soma and went to open the door. "Helloooo–"

Eh? I took in the boy before me and his many... devices. A camera, a recorder, and a... what even is that?

"Good morning. Is Yukihira Soma here?" The boy asked, eyes sparkling at the name.

"Um..." I closed the door a little to block his view inside. Why was this reporter-looking kid looking for Soma, exactly? "Depends who's asking."

He seemed innocent enough, but with Soma's match against Mimasaka weighing on my mind, his getup seemed to scream 'spy'.

"Oi? Who is it (Name)-chan?" Soma asked and peered over me at the boy.

The visitor lit up at his arrival. "Yukihira-senpai...! It's really you! Aweso–"

"Gah!" I jumped back as Soma pushed past me to disarm the boy, pulling his arm behind his back and causing him to drop his bag and other tools.

"Ow ow ow ow!" The kid yowled in pain.

"S-Soma!" I panicked at the sudden assault. At least let me do the attacking!

"What was that for?!" The boy cried out as Soma released him and stood.

"Oh, sorry sorry." Soma smiled nonchalantly."I thought you were one of Mimasaka's spies."

Still, I didn't expect you to outright attack him, I sweatdropped. But I felt a little respect for how easily he took him down.

"My name is Sotsuda Mitsuru. I'm a third year in the Middle School Division." He introduced himself and held out a magazine to us. "I'm with the Journalism Club!"

Oh, so he's a year younger than us huh? It would certainly explain the innocent look to him.

We observed the handout together, which featured a dramatic image of Soma and Mimasaka with bold letters labeling their showdown. It was impressive, to say the least.

"The Journalism Club, huh?" Soma gasped as he read the smaller print that detailed the risks of the Shokugeki. So everyone knows what's at stake, huh.

"The whole school can't stop talking about you, Senpai! That's why I have a favor to ask!" Mitsuru exclaimed as Soma took the paper from him. "Will you let me follow you in the week leading up to the Shokugeki so I can do a story?!"