Chapter 43 - Scooters, Showers, and Unsolicited Teammates

(Name)'s POV

The weeks leading up to the festival I spent at Shiomi RS, working with Hayama after classes in preparation. We settled on curry which was unsurprising, but I didn't protest since I knew firsthand how amazing his curry was. I did, however, suggest a variety of curries for our menu such as buns and noodles. Hayama agreed with this suggestion, and together we prepared a basic menu.

In the process, he also taught me the basics of spice and how to handle it. Balance, contrast, harmony, and all of the various ways to use smell to my advantage—it was difficult keeping up. But I did my best to soak up as much information as I could. Hayama also proved to be a decent teacher with his patience even when I struggled to grasp some concepts. Luckily, I was a fast learner overall.

I wouldn't say we were buddy-buddy just yet, but he was gradually warming up to me. At least I hoped.

"Oof, time for a break." I placed down my notes and stretched. Jun was busy with her most recent project, and Hayama was busy testing spice combinations in the kitchen. That left me to my own devices until he finished.

I walked around the room to stretch my legs and skimmed over the many potted plants. They're looking kind of dry. I think Hayama usually waters them around this time..?

Sure enough, the clock read 5 PM: watering time.

It seemed redundant to interrupt him just so he could come in here to water the spices, so I went ahead and did it for him. I'd seen him do it countless times and followed his example, alternating between the spray bottle and the watering can.

There we go. Happy, healthy plants! I nodded in satisfaction and looked around. Hmm, the shelves are looking a little dusty now that I think about it.

A half-hour later, Hayama entered to hand me a clipboard of his notes. I reviewed the papers as he walked the perimeter of the room, looking up when he stopped suddenly.

He ran his finger along one of the spice racks. "Did Jun dust these shelves?" He mumbled to himself. He immediately shot down the idea. "No, that's not possible."

I lowered the clipboard and answered his confusion. "I hope you don't mind, Hayama-san. I dusted the shelves and returned everything to their places while you were out submitting the paperwork. And watered the 5 o'clock spices."

Now that I said it out loud, I realized how my help might seem like overstepping. What if he thought I was trying to replace him? But I was also a member of the research society now so it should be normal for me to help, right?

Hayama blinked in surprise. "No, it's fine. You didn't have to do that. But... thank you." He rubbed his neck and took the seat across from me.

"No prob. These are the booth locations?" I referred to the papers he gave me. He'd highlighted where our booth would be located. "This is the Main Street, right? Looks like a pretty good spot."

"I'm sure Jun has already explained it to you in how it's different from ordinary festivals." Hayama held a hand to his chin, and I nodded in confirmation. "You said this is your first Moon Banquet Festival?" I nodded again as he reached out and took the clipboard back.

Something I'd learned in the past week was that Hayama often struggled to convey his feelings. But I'd also learned to recognize his little ticks that showed when he was embarrassed, lying, or otherwise. You get better at reading others when they don't tell much in the first place.

He closed his eyes, something he only did when admitting something that embarrassed him, and sighed. "In that case, I'll help you." When he opened his eyes again, he kept them glued to the clipboard as if unable to look at me.