Chapter 58 - Promotion Exams, Stage 3: A Concerning Lack of Nipples

(Name)'s POV

I couldn't speak. My mouth refused to form words as I gaped up at the male. I realized I was shaking and clenched my fists in attempts to stop it.

Hayama focused on Soma, his opponent, and no one else. His hair had grown longer since I'd last seen him, free from its usual ponytail and resting around his shoulders. He sported a fancy new jacket as well, but I was more concerned with the badge pinned to the front of his shirt.

 He sported a fancy new jacket as well, but I was more concerned with the badge pinned to the front of his shirt

"Hey, Hayama. You have a weird badge on your blazer." Soma gestured to his own shirt.

"There's no mistake here, Yukihira," Rindo assured him, waving her fork in a carefree manner. "He is Hayama Akira, the newest member of the Tōtsuki Elite Ten and Central. He is the ninth seat, on a provisional basis."

"So that's how it is, Yukihira." Hayama stuck his nose up at his opponent. "We're no longer on the same playing field. I'm in a position where I can test you."

Soma glared up at him, annoyed by his contemptuous tone. "Acting all high and mighty now that you're finally showing your mug again?"

A pair of men in suits appeared and seized Erina's arms. "Erina-sama! Your exam hall is that way, Erina-sama!"

"What? Let me go! How rude!" she objected.

"This is necessary," Rindo affirmed and stood. "You're taking the same exam as the other students, Nakiri-chan."

As Erina was escorted away, I managed to regain my senses. I wasted no time in marching to the front, standing in front of Soma so that Hayama had no choice but to look at me.

"Hayama!"

I didn't know what to say, but I knew one thing: I had to speak to him.

His gaze flickered to me, apathetic. It was like I was a stranger to him, and for a moment I was rendered speechless again.

Hayama finally addressed me. "Homura. You're still reckless as ever." His words held a bite, despite his indifferent tone. They reminded me of the last thing he'd said to me: 'Don't be reckless.'

So that's how it's going to be. My anger flared, and I found my voice again.

"You absolute dingus! You complete and utter stinky-head!! Why have you been ducking my calls, man!?" I raged. "What's with the getup? Where have you been? Where's Shiomi-senpai? Is this some rebellious delinquent phase? Is that why you're emo!?" I launched question after question at the male.

"Why... why have you been avoiding me?"

For a brief moment, there was a crack in his defenses, a flicker of emotion in his eyes. But it passed in a flash, and I was met with dull, uncaring green again. Nothing like the eyes I'd come to know, which shone with passion for his cooking.