Chapter 53 - Director Dumpling

(Name)'s POV

"Ibusaki-kun?" I knocked on Shun's door, easily distinguishable by the smokey scent seeping out. The door opened and Shun appeared from the smoke, like some sort of magician.

"Homura-san." He greeted and stared in curiosity at the basket in my hands. "Can I help you?"

I lifted the goodies for him to see. "I'm here to thank you!"

"Thank me..?" He accepted the basket and scanned its contents: a couple of snacks, some drinks, and a rock I painted to look like a ladybug (don't tell Shuu) were inside. "You didn't have to."

"Nonsense. You're always doing so much for me, so it's the least I can do." I waved my hand.

I didn't know exactly what kinds of things Shun liked, so his smile was reassuring. But while packing this thank-you-basket, I realized I didn't know much about Shun himself.

Though there was one surprise to the basket.

"Check the bag."

Shun opened the bag which occupied most of the basket. I giggled when his mouth parted at its contents, before he lifted it to his nose for a deep whiff. "They're cherry oak chips I had shipped from my hometown! They're pretty abundant on the mountain, so I had my friend go cut some and mail them."

Shun's smile shifted from polite to eager as he lowered the bag to thank me. I assured him there was no need, and he glanced down at the basket and back at me before opening his door wider. He was inviting me inside.

I followed him into the room and squinted through the smoke. It was somewhat difficult to see, but I could make out the layout of his room. It was organized, with his bed on one side and his smoking equipment on the other, the window acting as the only source of light.

I stood near the entrance while Shun placed the basket on his desk, unsure what to do with myself until he offered me a cushion to sit on. A moment later, he presented a large platter of various smoked meats, ranging from pork to salmon to pheasant.

"Want some?" Shun offered. He watched me take a slice of the salmon and eat it, eyes widening at the delicious taste.

"That's delicious!" I exclaimed and took another.

He chuckled and placed the platter on the table, taking the seat opposite me and pouring some tea for the both of us. "I'm glad you think so. It's a new method I've been working on, where I use a mix of roasting and smoking. It's popular in America."

I nodded as I listened to him explain, still feasting on the many different delicacies before me. The tea paired perfectly with how it washed down each bite.

Lapsang souchong. I was able to identify the tea. A tea made from smoking the leaves over a pine-fire. Though it tasted different from other times I drank it, probably hand-made by Shun himself. I smiled into my cup. How fitting.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear him expound upon something he was passionate about and stayed quiet to let him speak.

"For the one you're eating right now, I used a combination of apple and mesquite wood. They pair well since they're both hardwoods that produce a sweet taste. But I've been experimenting with other, more-uncommon pairings to see if I can get a solid combination out of them." Shun stopped to refill my cup. "And thanks to you, Homura-san, I've finally got cherry wood. I wasn't able to get my hands on any until today."

"So do you usually use hardwoods to smoke your meats?" I encouraged him to speak more.

"Yes. It's not often I use softwoods for smoking—the resin makes it difficult." He prepared to launch into another explanation before thinking better of it.