Chapter 4

Vera

Dumbass. Who the hell does he think he is.

What if I was a random ass teenager doing stupid shit, speeding up and down a road, drunk or high out of my mind, and he just parks in the middle of the street.

What if I hit his ass, killing both of us. I swear some fucking people just have a death wish.

I was in a good mood, ready to go to my race and beat some random person when that guy just ruined it.

You know what, no. I'm not going to let this ruin my race or my night. That guy can go to hell although it would be such a waste of those beautiful hazel eyes—Vera, no. Get it together.

I arrive quickly to where the race is supposed to happen. This race is at an abandoned airport with random obstacles along the runway.

I won on this track last year, so I was familiar with it, all that was different was the twists and turns.

Whenever we do have these big races we make sure to stay out of the city with them. Because this is illegal initially the police disapproved, but the police are controlled by the underground so whatever they say goes.

They said racing was fine, so now we race. Though out of respect, we still keep the races out of areas with homes and busy buildings.

We also have to sign waivers essentially stating if we are hurt or killed while racing or die from a race related injury it is no one's fault but our own.

How caring, right.

I meet up with Jasper and Mila where there are bleachers for the crowd to sit and watch in. I give both of them a big hug and take a seat with them and wait for the race to start.

"I'm so happy you made it Mimi, we've missed you a lot." I smile at Mila, looking over her features, making the slightly blurry memory of her clear again. She's Korean with dark brown eyes, black hair, and moderately white skin. She is drop dead gorgeous and Einstein smart.

"I wouldn't have missed it for the world, love." She reciprocates my smile, showing off her dimples.

"Guys lookout for the Saint. I want to see what he looks like." Mila and I laugh at how eager Jasper seems.

"How do we know who to look for if we've never seen him?" Mila asks, which makes Jasper tilt his head to the side and pout his lips.

"I didn't think of that, so he could already be here." Jasper's eyes widened with realization. "Maybe look for someone who seems intimidating, someone who reeks power." Jasper starts scanning his eyes over the people on the bleachers with us again.

When Jas says to look for someone who radiates power my mind goes straight to the man who stopped in the street. Everything about him screamed power, intimidation, violence.

Fear.

As I think that I notice 3 people entering the area for the bleachers. The two guys from the race I won 2 days ago, the ones that were talking about their boss, and right behind them the dumbass who almost killed us both.

"You've got to be fucking kidding me." I say making Mila and Jasper look at me with concern.

"You see that guy in the all black suit?" I nod my head in his direction so they know where to look.

"I'm pretty sure that's your guy." They quickly whip their heads back to him and stare so unsubtly I want to scoot over so it doesn't seem like I'm with them.

"How do you know, even though it clearly looks like it can be him." Mila asks, reeling back in her surprised look.

"When I was practicing before I came here he blocked the road with his car and basically said that the building I was driving in front of was dangerous and shit goes down in it and to stay away." Before Mila or Jasper can ask anymore questions a man comes ahead of the bleachers and calls for all the racers.

I give Mila and Jasper a hug as they wish me luck and make my way down the stairs. As I'm walking down I can feel the stares of everyone.

Mainly because I'm a woman, but I feel a different burning on me. More intense, a different reason for the stare. I take a peak over my shoulder and see who it is.

The guy from the street. Who I now assume is Santiago Desoto. One of his friends points at me and says something. He pays him no mind though, he keeps his eyes on me, locked on mine.

The intensity of it makes my heart race, my knees feel as if they're about to buckle, and a feeling in my lower abdomen flutters. I subtly clench my thighs together and turn my head back towards my path to reach my car.

My car is at the front because I have the most wins. I open my door and lower myself in. I inhale and exhale, calming the nerves that were stirred up by the look Desoto gave me.

I place my hands on the wheel and wait for the grid girl to wave the flag. I watch as she raises the flag above her head, arches her back to show off to the guys, and drop the flag.

As soon as she does I stomp on the gas and speed off.