Chapter 38

Santiago

I don't think I've woken up on my own since Silas has been here. Every morning I'm awakened by him jumping on the bed or him playing with my fingers. I'm complaining but I secretly love it. I never really thought I'd be a father. I just thought I'd pawn that whole thing off on Matteo, but with this kid, I love it. He's funny and adorable, like Vera, and talks all the time. Him and Cameron had a 30 minute argument on the best color in the rainbow. They never settled on it, just to decided to call it even by having mom make chocolate covered strawberries.

Vera wanted to take Silas to meet Debbie Andrew today. I could also tell she wanted to see them.

I made sure they were taken care of, and I visited every now and then. They still have the same diner and run it with the help of their granddaughter. I told them they could retire anytime, but they care about the diner and want to take care of it. They were devastated when I told them Vera had passed. I expected them to blame me and hate everything about me, but they didn't. They took me in, brought me casseroles, checked in on me almost every week. Andrew even sort of likes me now, as much as he can like anyone other than Debbie.

Silas walks ahead of us, pointing out the types of cars that fly by on our stroll to Debbie's. We decided to park a couple blocks down and walk because of the nice, breezy weather. Vera's phone chimes, she reads it typing out a response then sliding it back into her tight, light washed skinny jeans, paired with a black t-shirt.

"Mila said we should go shopping to furnish Silas his own room if I plan on staying permanently." My steps falter and my heartbeat accelerates. I never considered that Vera wouldn't want to stay. It did in the beginning, but we've talked about a lot of issues. I just assumed after everything she'd stay. What about Silas? I just met him, I don't want to lose my son. I don't want to lose Vera. My thoughts quiet when I feel a soft hand interlace with mine.

"Which I do, we're going to stay, Santi." She says in a calm reassuring tone. A wave  of relief washes over me. They're staying. They're not going anywhere.

We shortly after make it to Debbie's. Before we go in, Vera tells Silas who he's about to meet and how they are important to her. He listens intently—which most kids don't do, but not mine—and says ok when she is finished. When Vera comes back to my side, I give her hand a reassuring squeeze. She smiles up at me, reaches out for Silas' hand too, and walks into the diner.

It's relatively busy, a few people are left from brunch and we arrived in between breakfast and lunch rush. Serving a table to our left is Debbie and Andrew's granddaughter, Madeline. She is biracial and extremely beautiful and bright. She's an amazing server because she can talk and make connections with basically anyone. She has black jean shorts on, with a white shirt, and a black apron tied around her waist. Her hair is in free curls around her shoulders and her smile blazes as she works the men at her table, surly being suckered into leaving a big tip.

At the register is Debbie looking down at a checking book while Andrew is not visible but is heard in the kitchen cooking. Debbie looks up when she hears the bell ring and freezes in her tracks. Her eyes go from me, to Vera, to Silas, then back to Vera, then Silas again.

"Andrew!" Debbie yells over all the commotion in the diner which effectively stops all talking as well. Andrew hurriedly trots out the kitchen with concern etched in his brown. The creases in his forehead only grow deeper when his eyes fall on Silas then Vera. "You see them too?" Debbie asks in a whisper, over her shoulder. Andrew just grunts still confused. A sharp squeal pierces the air and in no time Debbie has Vera wrapped in her arms, squeezing the oxygen out of her. Vera reciprocates the hug with the same amount of love. After another few seconds of Andrew staring, he joins in on the hug with a small smile.

Also, the only time I've seen him smile.

"Sweetheart, what is going on? Am I having a psychotic breakdown? You're here, aren't you? My baby and if I'm assuming, my baby had a baby." Debbie rants still littering Vera in kisses. A mile wide smile is on Vera's face as she also gets hugs and kisses from Andrew. They finally break free of the hug and turn to Silas. Who is just standing next to Vera like her shadow.

"You are just the spittin image of your daddy, aren't you? Just an adorable little boy." She squeezes Silas' arm and kisses him on the cheek. She straitens back up and realizes fully that Vera is 'dead' but is right her.

"You got some explaining to do."

...........................................................................

Debbie and Andrew stare in disbelief once Vera is done telling them the sugar coated version of what happened. Silas is off playing server with Madeline while we all catch them up.

"I am so sorry this happened, but at least y'all have each other again. I knew from the moment I saw y'all together you were meant to be." I lock Vera and my fingers together at the mention of the past. I remember the first time I saw her, I had the consuming premonition that the longer I was around her something bad would happen. The feeling was right she became my greatest weakness but greatest strength.

"I remember what I said to you that night when you told me she wouldn't tell you her name." A smile blossoms on my face at the memory. I place a finger over my lips to signal for Debbie not to tell her. I have a plan for when that time comes.

"Anywho, you two should get out of here go have some fun. We can keep Silas for however long you both need. I want to spoil him a bit." Debbie rises from her seat in the booth and gestures for us to get up too. She shoos us out the door, placing a final kiss on both of our cheeks while Andrew just gives us a nod. The door swings closed in our face as our child is taken from us. I look over at Vera who is still slightly shocked but amused. She turns to look up at me raising her eyebrows with mischief gleaming in her pupils.

"So what do you want to do first?"