Chapter 9

Vera

"That was the best grilled cheese I've ever had," I smile at Santiago as he pushes his plate back. I feel like I've grinned more today than I have in a month.

Debbie approaches the table with both of our bills, but before I can grab mine Santiago snatches both of them and places a hundred dollar bill in each.

"Santiago, I can pay for myself." I insist trying to get my bill out of his hands. He shakes his head and stands walking the bills over to Debbie.

I gather my things as he does and start to head out the door as they talk. I walk out the diner and lean against the window as I wait for him, simply taking in the small chill in the air from the weather beginning to change.

As I'm inhaling the fresh air, I feel cold metal on my neck without warning. I look over to see a man holding a gun. He seems to be on something, his clothes are baggy and ripped, and he's sweating profusely. He's slightly shaking as well, unstable.

"Give me your bag." The man ordered in a deep, harsh voice. I clench my jaw, trying to think of something to get myself out of this. It probably wouldn't be best to try and take the gun. He's high on drugs and is shaking, could set of the trigger at any moment.

"Now, or I'll have to hurt a pretty little thing like you. I don't want to do that because it would be such a waste." I bite my lip, stopping myself from responding. Anything could set him off. Setting him off is basically pulling the trigger.

"You're not fucking moving. Why the hell aren't you moving? Grab your purse and give it to me before I have to have some fun with you to teach you a lesson." All I can hear is my blood pounding in my ears, blood that might be leaving my body soon if I don't do something.

My body goes completely still when I hear the cocking of a gun, but not his, it's too far away to be his.

"Put the gun down." I hear Santiago command but it hardly sounds like him. That voice is laced with venom, rage, murder.

I see the man become rigged, he doesn't move though.

"Now." I feel the threat in Santiago's words even if they're not spoken to me. I feel the promise of pain in my bones, something I've never heard coming from him.

The man slowly pulls the gun from my throat and tosses it to the side. Before I can register it Santiago has slams him against a wall and has started punching him. A woman walks out the diner sees Santiago punching the man and starts yelling.

I don't know what she's saying I just hear screams from the woman, cries from the guy being punched, and grunts from Santiago putting everything he has into hurting this man.

It feels like an eternity trying to drag myself out of shock, although it likely was only for 10 seconds, but as soon as I realize what's happening I stop it.

"Santiago, stop." I shouted, making myself louder than all the noise. It seems to work because Santiago immediately freezes.

"Leave him, please." He quickly drops him and turns to me. He cups my face in his hands, tilting my head up to see him. He runs his eyes over me, checking for injuries.

"Are you ok?" I nod putting my hands onto his wrists.

"I'm okay, Santiago. Just a little shaky. I promise." The worry doesn't waver in his eyes. I pull his hands away from my face and look at his knuckles. They're starting to bruise and have a little blood on them.

"Are you okay?" I ask smiling up at him as he chuckles.

"I'm fine. Let me walk you to your car." I nod and start heading that way. Santiago places a protective hand on the small of my back as we go. We reach my car and I look at him.

"What should I call you?" He whispers, playing with a piece of my hair in between his fingers.

"I don't know." I watch as he stares at the piece of hair while thinking. As if this is a genuinely important decision.

"Mi luz." My eyes flick up to his and he's looking into mine. The way he's looking at me makes my heart trip. He's staring like I'm worth staring at. Like if he could he'd stare at me forever. (My light)

"I'll call you mi luz, until you're ready, and you'll call me Santi." I tilt my head at his new name for himself.
(My light)

"I thought you wanted me to call you Santiago?" I flash of a smile crosses his face.

"My friends call me Santiago. The people who are closest to me call me Santi." I nod, having questions but putting them off until another day. This one has been enough as it is.

"Goodnight, mi luz." I smile up at him loving the way his nickname for me rolls off his tongue. (my light)

"Goodnight, Santi." I pull my keys out my bag and get in my car. I slowly back out not wanting to leave Santi. I watch as he slowly becomes smaller and smaller in my mirror and focus back on the road once he is out of sight.

For the past week I've been trying to force him out of my head. Trying to forget about those eyes. Trying to convince myself he's like Michael and nothing good comes from people in that line of work, but now after sitting with him, talking with him, laughing with him.

I see no part of Michael in him. I see that not everyone in that line of work is bad, but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or if I'm doomed.