Chapter 32

Vera

I watch as Mila, Alex, Silas, and Desoto discuss what movie to watch. Silas has progressively gotten more comfortable with them all, except I can tell there's still a slight wall with Desoto. Breakfast is long forgotten and it's about 6pm.

Silas has decided what to call Mila and Alex. Mimi and Uncle Ally, which is a personal favorite of mine because of the way Alex scowled. He flipped Si upside down and tickled the breath out of him for that one, but Silas just laughed.

"I don't wanna watch Toy Story. I already have like 20 times." Silas says to Mila, he's telling the truth. He went through a phase, a very, very dark one for me.

"What about Monsters Inc.?" Alex suggests, Si shakes his head. When I said he was stubborn, I wasn't exaggerating they've been discussing movies for 20 minutes.

"How about we binge the Spider-Man movies?" Silas lights up at Desoto's idea. He nods and starts looking the first Spider-Man movie up. They are all surprised that he can spell it out. I feel pride spread in my chest. My smart boy.

Without warning the door swings open and in pours Jasper, Cam, Matteo, and Desoto's mom.

"Cariño, ¿qué pasó? ¿Cómo estás aquí? ¿Quien hizo esto? Los tendré a 12 pies bajo tierra cuando termine. Te ves cariño, tu cabello y tu piel brillan, mi amor. Ah, Mila, ¿cómo estás querida? ¿Ya tienes náuseas matutinas? Es hermoso volver a ver a todos mis hijos en un solo lugar." (Honey, what happened? How are you here? Who did this? I'll have them 12 feet underground when I'm done. You look darling, your hair and skin shine, my love. Ah, Mila, how are you dear? Do you already have morning sickness? It's beautiful to see all my children in one place again.)

She's like a whirlwind, but an absolutely beautiful and caring one. I pay attention to her saying we are all of her children and it warms my heart. No one has referred to me as their child in over a decade, and I've never felt the love of a mother, not really until Stella.

I see the moment her eyes land on Silas who is tucked into my side. She looks at him, then Desoto, then me about three times.

"Santiago Desoto, no tenías absolutamente nada que hacer haciendo esas actividades con esta dulce niña y sin protección. Tienes suerte de que se vea tan precioso y adorable. Debiste decírmelo. Habría venido con regalos para mi nieto." (Santiago Desoto, you had absolutely no business doing those activities with this sweet girl and without protection. You're lucky he looks so precious and adorable. You should have told me. I would have come with gifts for my grandson.)

Everyone in the room is trying desperately to hold back laughter, other than Desoto who is covering his face with his hands and me whose face is red and hot.

"Hello dear, what is your name, and how old are you?" She smiles kindly at Silas making wrinkles form at the corner of her eyes.

"I'm Silas, and I'm 5. My birthday is on September 3rd." Stella beams and comes closer to Silas, crouching infront of him.

"Why, that's not far off, is it? Do you know who I am?" Silas shrugs.

"If I'm guessing, I think you're my grandma." Stella nods.

"You're a smart boy, aren't you?" Stella says, he nods adamantly. His attention shifts to me.