Chapter 20

Vera

"So basically he had a girlfriend, but it's not his girlfriend, just a clingy, psycho. And that night at the club, you left to go hookup with him. And now he wants to take you to Guatemala." Jasper recaps everything I just told him and Mila.

"Yeah, so am I crazy or spontaneous." I ask switching my gaze between the both of them.

"Crazy."
"Spontaneous."

They answer at the same to overlapping each other. I'd expect nothing less. Mila is a doctor, the mom, the sane one of our group, while Jasper is the one I go to when I want to do something stupid as hell. They make a good balance.

"Look, I have never seen you be with anyone. Try it out. Let him spoil you." Jasper says softly.

"You don't know him. He is the literal king of the mafia." Mila says defensively.

Mila's right he is the king, but he's more than that. So much more. "It's not something random to me or him. It's real. I can feel it." I cringe at myself because since when do I have feelings about men. Never, literally never but Santiago. He's different.

I hurl internally.

"On the bright side. Jasper gets the house to himself whenever you're at work." I gesture to Mila. "And you are guaranteed a free weekend with the promise of not going out." I see the wheels churning in her head. Slowly but surely.

"Fine, but I know people. I can have him tracked down." I smile.

"I know the people that you know." Santiago's husky voice intrudes from the doorway. Mila raises an eyebrow at him.

"I know the people that you know, that I know would track you down for me instead of you." Santiago stares at her like she's insane and shakes his head.

"And I know that's probably true." Santi says. Jasper and I look between them, totally confused.

"You understood that?" I ask as Jasper simultaneously asks who's the people. Santiago just looks at Mila so we do too.

"Alex. Alex is people." I remember him. I'm 90% sure he's an assassin. And by the look on Jasper's face make it 98%.

"Do you know his occupation?" Jasper asks his eyes darting to Santi who just seems entertained. Mila clicks her tongue and nods.

"As long as you know." I say before grabbing my bags, giving Mila and Jasper a hug, and leaving.

...

"You have a private jet?" I say as my eyes bug out of my head. He laughs at me and nods. There's 2 people in a line to greet Santiago. He shakes their hand and I do a shy smile which they return. One is the flight attendant, the other is the pilot.

We board the plane and I strap into my seats. I look up to see Santiago hasn't made a move to do his.

"Put on your seatbelt." I tell him and he lifts his head to look at me.

"I don't need to." I blink at him a couple times in disbelief.

"Are you Superman?" He tilts his head in confusion. "If you're not Superman, you need a seatbelt." He shows a bored face, but I just stare back.