Chapter 13

Santiago

"Hey, great you're alive." Cameron yells with Alex a few steps behind him.

"Why are you here?" Cam puts a pout on his face crossing his arms over his chest. "Is that how you greet me when I thought you were dead 30 seconds ago?"

I glare at him which doesn't faze him. "You didn't answer us so we came to see what happened and we found a body in the alley you were meeting at."

I nod trying to think of what will make them leave the fastest. I want to get back to Vera.

"Looks like he got you pretty good who did the stitches? They're actually better than I could've done." He inspects my stitches but then freezes looking over my shoulder.

"Did you seriously let her in your house." I look over my shoulder and see Vera. Cam looks back and forth between me and her like he can't believe his eyes.

"I see you guys are busy so I'm just gonna wait outside for my Uber." She starts walking towards the door but I grab her wrist stopping her. I can't help but feel how warm she is.

"No, it's too late at night. You'll stay here." She shakes her head,slightly ducking so she doesn't have to look at me.

"Santiago, I shouldn't. It's fine." I bring my hand to her chin and raise it till she's looking into my eyes. "Mi luz, stay. I'll drive you home first thing in the morning. I promise, please."

I still feel odd saying that word. Please. I'll only ever say it for her.

She holds eye contact wagging war in her mind. She finally takes a deep breath before pursing her lips. It makes me want to kiss her again and again and again. So pink and full. Soft.

"Upstairs last door on the right." I say slowly letting go of her wrist and her warmth along with it. She walks past me towards the stairs giving Cam and Alex a shy smile. Alex returns a nod while Cam gives her a smile.

Once she's out of sight I look back to them and they have a confused look on their face. "Do you want to fill us in?" I stare back for a moment before answering.

"No."

"Santiago, this is too messy. Her family? Your history with them?" I knew it was only a matter of time before Cam dug deep enough. I also know he's right. This is messy. Dumpster fire times 10 messy. Hell the whole fire station is on fire at this point.

"Don't mess around to just be messing around. Hell if you're serious about her go ahead, but just for the hell of it?" It's not just for the hell of it. Even though I hate to admit it. I don't just want to fuck around with Vera. I want everything with her. Shit, I'm in deep.

"I'm not. It's—real." That's all I can choke up. All I can voice.

"Good for you then man. Apologies for cockblocking, have a good night." He nods at me before turning to Alex. "You owe me 15 grand."

Alex smirks before shaking his head. "They're not officially together so I don't owe you shit." They walk out my door and close it behind them I make my way upstairs and into my room to hear Vera in the shower.

I go and change then lay on my bed, replying to boring ass emails. The shower soon turns off and Vera walks out with damp hair and a towel around her chest. My eyes scan over how short the towel is making me adjust in my sweatpants.

"You can get a shirt from my closet." My voice comes out rough. I watch as she walks into the closet for her to emerge a few minutes later in one of my sweatshirts that completely engulfs her.

A smug smile grows across my face. "You look good in my clothes." She blushes softly as she slips under the covers. I start to get up but her voice stops me.

"Where are you going?" I look at her to see she's confused.

"I'm going to a spare room. I assumed you'd want to sleep alone." Her eyes roam over every part of my face as if she's trying to memorize it.

"You can stay, it's your room after all." I smirk tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "They're all my rooms, love." Her jaw drops. She shoves me making a laugh ring from my chest.

"Asshole, you're really going to make me say it?" I smile as I nod watching her glare at me.

"Santiago, will you stay here, with me?" I smile at her and nod. She's so gorgeous that I can't help but smile. She puts a weird feeling in my chest that makes my heart beat fast and laugh.

I never laugh, not really, not fully. She does though, just seeing her makes me smile. It's gross how much I smile around her. Foreign.

I could get used to it though and that's the terrifying part.