Chapter 6

Vera

"We should go say hi." I stare at Jasper because I think he's lost his mind.

"Why in the hell would we do that?" I look at Mila and she's not even engaged in the conversation. She's looking over my shoulder clearly preoccupied.

"Because I'm his mechanic, I basically have his life in my hands every time I service his car, he should know who I am." I look at Jasper with furrowed brows.

"I'm going to ignore the middle of that sentence, but even if we did approach him it would be weird." Jasper's eyes start to widen and he ducks his head to whisper.

"They're coming over here so we don't even have to approach them." Just as I'm about to yell at him Desoto and his friends are in front of us. I stand up straight giving them my attention, but putting on a mask of confidence. Fake it till you make it.

"Congratulations on your win. First place in all the races this year is impressive." God, his voice. So deep and velvety. Focus, Vera.

"Thank you," I reach out my hand and wait for him to confirm his name.

"Santiago Desoto, and you?" His hand engulfs mine, sending electricity all over my body. His hand is warm and rough.

"Fulmine or lightning." His eyebrow lifts at my response. He expected me to tell him my real name, not my racing name, but I only have a select few who know my real name.

My eyes go to our still connected hands. They are simply touching now, not really shaking. I don't want to let go of the warmth, but I have to remind myself we aren't alone, so I take away my hand.

I don't have the courage to look up at him when I let go so I look over at Jasper and Mila who haven't said a word.

"How rude of me, I should introduce you, this is Jasper Rossi he's actually your mechanic. Mine as well and the best in America." Jasper snaps out of shock and raises his hand to shake Desoto's.

"Good to meet you, Rossi. You do fine work." Jasper nods his head eagerly.

"Yes sir, thank you." They release their hands and his eyes are back on mine. Layers of green and brown stare into me making my heart race.

"And this is Mila Miles. She's an amazing doctor." I point at Mila hoping she'll save me, but she's staring at one of Desoto's friends.

"Well, introduce us, Santiago." The tall, dark, and leaner one of his friends says, while wrapping one of his arms around Desoto's shoulders. Desoto glares at him but starts to introduce them.

"This kid is Cameron DeLuca and that old man is Alexander Morgan." Both of his friends throw him a look which he pays no attention to, though there is a glint of amusement in his eye.

"I'm one year younger than you." Cameron says, staring into the side of Desoto's head. Desoto simply shrugs his shoulders and keeps his eyes on me.

Cameron rolls his eyes and looks at us giving us a kind smile while Alexander gives us a simple nod, but then quickly turns his head towards Mila.

"Anyways it was nice to meet you all. Hopefully I will see you around." He says to all of us but never breaks eye contact with me.

"I hope so too, Mr.Desoto." I say starting to walk away.

"You sure it's not dumbass?" I stop in my tracks and look up at Desoto. I thought we had a mutual agreement to not bring that up but apparently not. He seems to enjoy the slight panic in my expression because it brings a smirk to his face.

I realize what he's doing and try to recover the best that I can.

"Which would you prefer, Desoto or dumbass?" Amusement brightens in his eyes, finding the whole situation funny.

I suddenly become very aware that we are in public again. I start to walk away again but am stopped by Desoto grabbing my arm. Not roughly as you would expect, but quite gentle, caring.

"I prefer Santiago." He says so only I can hear. His hand that is wrapped around my forearm slowly slides down to my wrist and then grazes my hand as he lets go. It feels as though fire was dragged where he touched.

He then stared at me for a second longer before walking past me and grazing my shoulder with his arm. I get a bit of his scent as he walks past, a fresh, smoky scent wafts over me. Though just as soon as it's there, it's gone and I'm standing there like an addict.

I come back down to earth and realize my friends are staring at me and a couple of other stragglers. I look at Jas and Mila and already know what they're about to say so I turn and head to my car.

"Vera, we are not going to just ignore the whole flirty conversation you just had with Santiago Desoto." Mila says walking after me, damn she's fast.

"I'm surprised you saw anything with the way you were staring at Alexander." I look at her over my shoulder eyeing the pink blush that covers her cheeks.

"What was that whole dumbass remark?" Jasper asks, only a few steps behind Mila.

"I called him a dumbass when he blocked the street." They both falter in their steps but quickly regain.

"You called The Saint a dumbass and are still breathing?" Jasper asks, dumbfounded.

"Seems like it." I say, finally reaching my car. I open the door and sit in it.

"Look I'll answer your questions later, but for now I just need space." I eye them with a pleading look which they fold under. They nod their heads before going off to the car they came in.

I close my door and lay my head on my steering wheel. I breathe and try to tame the butterflies and rogue thoughts clouding my mind.

You can't feel this way about someone like him. Not someone in that line of work. Anyone else but people like him. Those kinds of people took Callum from you.

But he doesn't feel like those kinds of people. He doesn't feel like Michael. He feels safe. He feels like Santiago.