(12) best friend - joão félix

"Do you think stars get lonely?"

The silence in the car was broken by your question; curiosity taking the best of you and not being able to control your mouth, it was spoken aloud.

"Huh?" João hummed, amusement settling in his tone. He glanced, quickly, at you but your gaze was locked in on the sky above as your head rested against his window.

"I'm just thinking..." You mumbled. "...that stars must be so lonely. To us, they seem like they are right next to each other, when in reality, they are millions of light years apart. Is that not sad?"

João didn't understand but he knows not to disturb your thoughts - or speech - when you were so immersed.

"It's sad because they are so close and yet, so far away." You said, closing your eyes and seeing one man's face flashing in your mind.

It sure-as-hell was not your boyfriend's.

You remember an over-bearing mop of dark brown hair, his full caterpillar-like eyebrows, the interested eyes that followed your movements, the sharp nose that fanned out into high cheek-bones, his bright smile — teeth shining brighter than the stadium lights — and how he directed it at you, his caramel skin that glistened with sweat as he walked off the field and your head resting on the railing, mesmerised by his boyish-personality.

The day he handed his sweater to you was the day that João Fèlix had infiltrated your mind, never leaving since. At every game, his eyes sought out yours, smiling as they met, and running to your section whenever he scored a goal.

He wanted to show off, and you had let him.

It was, then, that he met you in the park as you were walking your dog, that he stopped and got the courage to give you his number. Must've been a feat for him as he gave you little-to-no chance to explain that you had a boyfriend. He must've been heartbroken when he looked for you in the crowd and found you sitting with a man, an arm around your shoulders, whispering in your ear. That was one of the first times he didn't look at you throughout the entire game.

"Y/N? Y/N?" He called out your name, so gently.

"I'm here, I'm here."

"What was that about? Earlier, I mean, that whole star thing."

You sighed, looking at your best friend, "I don't know. I have a feeling it applies to whatever's going on in my life but I don't know yet what's going on in my life."

He makes a right turn, and you can see that you are close to your guys special spot, away from any imposing media and the opportunity to leave responsibilities behind.

"You confuse me, a lot."

*******

"Y/N, I'm scared."

João breathed out, laying on his bonnet with his hands crossed on his stomach. In a similar position, you traced the stars into random shapes with your fingers. "Why?"

"I might be going back to Madrid."

Your movements stopped and you looked at him in shock, "What did you say?"

"I have a strong feeling I'm going back to Madrid. Chelsea isn't interested in buying me considering that I didn't make any ground-breaking moves and add to that, the bad season we were having. It's a possibility."

Close enough to reach out for his hand, you linked your fingers together and turned on your side so you were facing him, "I'm sorry about that."

"No, I'm sorry because the one thing that I don't wanna lose is our friendship but how can I stop that from happening when I'm far away from you?"

The tears brimming in his eyes fell down his cheeks and you used your free hand to wipe it, "Don't cry, João. We can work something out. It's no biggie."

"I don't think you understand how much you mean to me, I cannot lose this."

"I don't want to lose you too. You mean the world to me, João. You always have and you always will. Nothing can change that, not even the distance between us if, IF, you move."

You hummed, "So don't cry for me, yeah? Where's my favourite smiley João, huh? Where is he? Where is he?"

"There he is!" You exclaimed as his smile illuminated the night sky, and blinded you of all logic.

Grabbing his face and, gently, lowering it towards yours, you puckered your lips and pressed it against his. The sides of his mouth were still open but you didn't care, his lips were the most delectable thing you have tasted. It had taken him a few seconds of being awe-struck before curling his arm around your waist and pressing you into his body.

His lips had finally started moving with yours - like two ballroom dancers matching their timing and creating a splendid dance - as his hand rested on your hip. Pressing into the skin, his tongue snaked it's way into your mouth and met resistance with your tongue. The feeling of his tongue moving with and against yours — like a tug-of-war — was satisfying, so much that you pulled on his lower back and pressed your middle together.

"Y/N..." João moaned as he loosened his lips from yours, glistening with spit and breathing deeply. The look in his eyes said he wanted you and you believe, yours said the same.

"I've always wanted to do this. Gosh, ever since the first time I saw you." He mumbled against your skin, sucking on the skin out of curiosity, just wanting to see how red your skin turns.

"Why did it take you so long then?"

"You had a boyfriend—"

His movements stopped, and so did yours. He looked into your eyes and saw all he needed to see — regret. It made him feel sick but he won't deny how satisfied he felt knowing that you'd go back him to your boyfriend with his marks all over your neck.

"You have a boyfriend." João corrects his wording as he pulls away, the loss of his body heat, making you cold again. He jumps off the bonnet and fixes his pants — feeling sorry when you saw his bulge — and walks around to open the door.

"João, what's—"

He hands you a hoodie, presumably one of his, "Put this on, I saw how you were shivering." You don't hesitate to nod your head and puts the item of clothing on.

"I'm sorry—"

He started but you interrupted, "No, I'm sorry. I'm the one with the boyfriend, I shouldn't have continued like that. Hell, I shouldn't have kissed you in the first place." You chuckled, dry and painful.

You get up and try to slide off but João blocks your way. He stands in between your legs as he grabs them to halt its movement, "I really wish I could've been with you."

You pulled him into a hug and nuzzled his shoulder, playing with the small hairs on his neck, "And I wish you stayed, love. I would've loved for you to stay."

It was a moment. A moment used to think about the what if's and the what could've been, but maybe you just weren't meant to be together. Because, at the end of the day, he was scheduled to go back to Madrid and you were forced to go back to your boyfriend, dreaming that you could've woken up next to each other instead.