(34) like father, like son - kostas tsimikas

It was a peaceful afternoon; Snuffles, the family golden retriever was basking in the late sun. Kostas was lounging on the couch with Adam, your eldest son, at his feet. The 3 year-old was currently occupied with his newfound artistic interest, scribbling in his Spider-Man colouring book.

In his arms nestled April, the latest addition to the Tsimikas family, at just a few months old. She was staring up at her father — with stars in her eyes for the man — as he held onto the bottle she drank from.

His attention, however, was focused on the large TV screen. A new series that had gripped the whole of the camp, and became the recent obsession.

Ted Lasso.

Everything was fine; it gave you a breather from children responsibilities and time to catch up on the things you missed at work. While on maternity leave, the law firm you worked at picked up many new cases. It didn't necessarily mean that you would be handed these cases but if they needed expertise on the case, being one of the senior members, they could easily turn to you. So, yes, you needed to be updated on the cases.

"Mommy! Look at me!" Adam's small voice called out to you, and you saved a document with notes before looking over.

"Yes, Adam?"

But, the sight made you gasp. It wasn't life-threatening or anything, just purely funny.

Adam had forgone his crayons and books, and reached for his pens and was now colouring his father's bare feet (toes, to be specific) pink.

"It's Barbie, Mommy!" He exclaimed, giggles filling up the room. Not too long after had your giggles joined his, and it had become unavoidable. Kosta's paused his show and, first, looked at you only to see tears trailing down your cheeks before looking down to Adam and finally, noticing the artwork.

"Adam!"

His eyebrows furrowed in anger before the emotion dissipated and he joined in on the giggles.

April now rested on Kostas shoulder as he tried burping her, the pats to her back aiding her in the process. Even she was bouncing because of how hard Kostas had been laughing. Not long after, she let out a hearty burp which sent everybody into another fit of giggles.

"Wow. I hadn't laughed that hard in a while." Kostas said, wiping the tears from his eyes.

"Yeah..." You agreed, closing the laptop and putting it away. "This family is filled with pranksters, aren't they?"

Kostas smiled. His lips curved into a smirk as he sat April on his thighs, "You did marry me. And it was no secret that the kids would get my humour."

"Yeah, yeah. I knew what I was getting myself into, marrying you and all."

Grinning at your husband, you went to stop Adam first.

"Come on, love. Daddy looks fabulous enough, don't you think?"

Then, you picked up your baby girl from Kostas' lap, kissing her chubby cheeks as she settled in your arms. Supporting her head with your hand, you sat down next to Kostas, his arm automatically wrapping around the back of your seat. He kissed the highest point of your cheekbone, then the cheek, and down to your jaw.

"Finished with work today?" He asked, pulling you closer and cuddling you into his side.

You nodded your head, "Yes. I only have a few more cases to look over, not too long now before I have to go back."

"I'm gonna miss you."

Leaning your head back onto Kostas arm, you looked at your husband. He looked how you feel — sad but also happy, fatigued but also excitable — all 'wonderful' feelings of parents to a newborn. April was a God-send, don't get me wrong, but there's also nothing wrong in admitting being plain exhausted.

"I'm gonna miss you too." You replied. "Now, give me a kiss."

Kostas laughed at your pursed lips but still giving in as he pressed his lips onto yours. Of course, it was a quick-one — with there being kids in the room — but when you went in for a second one, Adam had quickly climbed onto his father's lap and placed his hand on Kostas mouth.

"Can't steals all of mommy's kisses. She needs to give me and April."

Kostas chuckled at his son's words and coming out muffled said: "Ofay, I fon't steal mommy's kiffes."

Adam nodded his head, and removed his hand, cuddling into his father's chest. "Good job, pal." He murmured.

"That's your son." You said as he looked at you in confusion. "He's around you and the guys too much."

"I guess so." Kostas rubbed the boy's head and placed a kiss on his crown. Adam whined but you knew that he appreciated the attention. It was important that when you had a newborn, you showed the first born as much attention and care you would for the baby.

Somehow, it had helped because you had never seen Adam jealous of April. Both you and Kostas had shown the boy equal love to what you would show April.

*******

Not much had transpired since this afternoon. Just the fact that Kostas and the kids were now bathed and napping on the bed in the main bedroom.

The concept of napping had never appeased your, therefore, you used this time to sit on the sofa and finish your work. It was going swimmingly before you saw Adam's head lift up and an irritated look evident on his face. He looked over to Kostas who laid with his hand on April's sleeping figure, mere inches away from Adam's reach.

It happened slowly but Adam had climbed off the bed onto his stepping stool. Using that as his anchor, he pulled the blanket April was sleeping on a little further away from Kostas.

"Adam—" Rushing up and towards the bed, you saw it wasn't a dire situation. Adam, then, climbed back into the bed but now, instead of being on the outside, he was cuddled up next to his father.

It made you smile, laugh actually, at his smart thinking as you retreated back to the couch.

Adam was the smart one in the family, clearly.

April was safe on her new sleeping spot, and Adam now wore a smile on his face as his body laid under Kostas arm. But, it wasn't long before Kostas noticed something odd.

Odd, indeed, because when he opened his eyes to check on the baby, and Adam, he was face-face with his son instead of his daughter. He lifted his head higher to look at April (still sleeping) and now at Adam (trying to sleep). Loud laughter escaped his mouth as he figured out what must have happened, throwing his head onto the pillows, he tried to calm down his fits of laughter.

"I wish I could have seen that." He mumbled.

"I don't think so. It almost gave me a heart attack to see him moving April like that."

He chuckled, quietly. "He is different."

"Yes, he is." You agreed, nodding your head, as you went back to the documents on your laptop.