(38) stuck with you - jadon sancho

The golden doors to the elevators opened with what seemed like an irritable whine, and reluctantly, you stepped into the moving box. Elevators were never really your thing, it wasn't that you had a phobia of them but they were just creepy. At least, that's how they were portrayed in all the horror movies and true-crime documentaries you watched.

As you stepped inside, there was one other person in the elevators. A man. He lifted his head from the device in his hands and smiled at you, stepping aside so you could have space to stand.

"Thank you." You whispered.

"No problem." Was his response. He went back to scrolling through something on his face, leaning against the railing.

Now, it's not everyday that you make it a habit to stare at strangers in an elevator. But, he was handsome. From the small exchange between the two of you, the way his lips curled to the side and revealed his whitened teeth made you blush. It was silly because you didn't even get to see his face for more than a few seconds but you knew that it would be running through your mind the whole night.

Gosh, you hated this. Someone could just smile at or compliment you and they'd be on your mind until the next person does it. No, it doesn't help your sanity and yes, it does make you delusional but guess what? It's your world you're living in, not anyone else's.

Without even realising it, you knocked your head against the glass and it echoed in the small space. Closing your eyes, you hoped that he wouldn't say anything but the universe was not on your side.

"You okay there?" His soft voice asked, and you turned around, nodding profusely.

"Just fine. Thank you for asking."

He chuckled softly, noting the little red mark on your forehead. "I would've believe you if there wasn't— a little—"

His finger motioned towards your forehead and immediately, your hand lifted to touch the sensitive spot. There was, in fact, a bump — very small — but still a bump. "Oh, this..." You chuckled, nervously. "This is nothing. I've suffered from worse, I'll be alright."

He had deposited the phone in his pocket and diverted his full attention to you. Smiling, he held out his hand, "Jadon."

As you were about to accept his hand, the elevator box shook with so much force that it threw the both of you off your feet and stumble into each other. He held you by your shoulders as your hands gripped the sides on his sweater, fear evident in your eyes as they found each other. The rumble continued for a few seconds before it came to a complete stop, the lights flickering on and off.

"I think..." Jadon said softly as not to alarm you. "...there's a huge possibility we could be stuck in here."

"No. No. No. No." You mumbled, repetitively. Listening yourself from his grip, you walked over to the doors and pressed your ear against the metal objects. It was no use as there wasn't even a semblance of the whirring to indicate that the machine was working.

Ugh. This was the last thing you needed. It was a particularly hard day at the law firm you were interning at — cases upon cases, research upon research, the amount of coffees made. All you've been fantasising about, the whole day, was getting home, taking a long and very much needed shower, getting into bed and hoping to fall asleep immediately.

Being stuck in an elevator with a stranger threw a wrench in those plans.

"I'll call the front desk reception. Maybe they could do something or find someone." Jadon said, his phone close to his ear. His thin eyebrows scrunched in thought as the ringing tone played in the background.

"I'll call the building management."

*******

It's been a solid ten minutes. There's been no back-up call (which they promised) but at least, a mechanic was "working on the situation." Both, you and Jadon, had retired to the floor and were sitting opposite each other, making small talk.

"...I swear to God, this guy just swung his elbow and it collided with his lawyer's jaw..." Jadon burst out in laughter, and not long after, sos did you.

"It was a powerful blow, though. He was admitted to hospital with a dislocated jaw, had to be out for at least seven weeks."

His eyes bulged out of his sockets and damn, he had such lovely soft eyes. "Really?"

"Really..." You nodded, pursing your lips. "It was my first ever case I worked on and I thought it was, like, the worst thing that happened on earth. Turns out, it happens at least once every couple of months. There's even a bet going on to see who's going to be next — it's wild."

"Woah. That seems... extreme. Is there anyone who's leading on the board, at least?" He asked, curiously.

"Oh, I wouldn't know. I don't participate in such unethical practices—" Glancing from your twiddling thumbs, Jadon had his arms crossed and a no-bullshit facial expression.

You laughed out loud. "Fine. There's a particular lawyer I betted on, he seems very close to getting beat up by his client. Not that we'd allow any violent outbursts but he's making stupid arguments that's leading to him losing."

"And he doesn't want to accept help since his pride is the size of the Atlantic Ocean."

All Jadon could do was shake his head as a breath of chuckled escaped his mouth, "It seems like everyday is an adventure at your workplace, Y/N."

"That it is, Jadon. Just one big mess when it comes to lawyers, believe me."

"But you must love it, yeah?" He said.

"How do you know I love it?" You enquired, curious about his response. Jadon sat up straighter as he folded his legs, leaning his elbows on his knees and looked straight at you.

"You've had a smile on your face this whole time. All throughout these stories — good and bad — you've only had a smile on your face, and people who hate their jobs wouldn't smile like that." His words caused you to blush, interested in the soles of your loafers.

"I'm right, aren't I?" He asked, excitement laced in his voice. "Right?"

"Yes." You smiled, looking back at him. "Yes, you're right. No matter how many horror stories I hear or images I see, I could never change my career choice."

"I knew it—"

Jadon began but was cut off by the sound of whirring, a rumble of sorts and the lights flickering back on as the elevator began to move again. It was a mini-celebration, getting up to hug each other, before realising that your faces had been mere inches away from each other.

There was awkward laughter before you loosened the hug, and grabbed your stuff from the floor, just ready to get to the comfort of your apartment.

"Y/N—"

"Jadon—"

Jadon shoved his hands in his pockets, scrunching up his shoulders as he nervously looked up towards you. "Uh, you can go first if you want to."

You shook your head, pointing to him. "No, please. I've been babbling your ear off for the past couple of minutes, it's only right that you speak."

Jadon looked even more nervous now than he was before. "Oh, uh, I would really love to hear more of your stories." He said, scratching his head.

"Oh? Um, yeah, I wouldn't— I wouldn't mind telling more of them, or at least, I've got many more to tell."

"Yeah?" He asked, in surprise. Nodding your head, Jadon flashed his blinding smile in your direction, happiness radiating from his body.

"Yeah, if you'd like to give me your number then I could contact you when I'm free." Fuck it, you just took the initiative.

Needless to say, you walked out of that elevator not regretting it getting stuck for one minute. Making sure to bid him a goodnight, you actually skipped — yes, skipped — to your apartment.