(33) double date - rúben dias

"Reservation, Miss?"

"It should be under Abigail — party of four?" Your best friend, Abi, spoke. It took the hostess a few seconds before she double-tapped on the screen, sent a smile in your direction, and opened the heavy beige curtain.

"This way, ladies." She motioned towards the other side of the curtain, into the spacious room.

The way (both) you and Abigail's jaw dropped to the floor was comical, like something on those Cartoon Network channels your nephew watches.

To say that the restaurant was stunning would, honestly be an understatement; it was perfect. In every sense, every style, every motion of the patrons, it was heaven. There was enough natural light coming through the sliding doors to light up the room — the chandeliers collecting dust on the roof. Two-seaters and couches were strategically placed with small ancient coffee tables in front of them for a dessert-and-tea party. Different kinds of aromas circulated the air, not only because of the delicious food, but also from the plants that stood on tables and in corners.

There were so many other aspects you could comment on, but the hostess kept walking and so did you and Abigail.

"How did your boyfriend even find this place?" You asked, incredulously staring at the plates of food.

Abigail briefly lifted her shoulders in a shrug, "I don't even know."

"All I know is that you should never let him go, okay."

She stepped back and waited for you to catch up before linking your arms together, waking side-by-side. "I'm not planning to." She whispered.

"Oh, and this is a double-date." She dropped the bombshell and greeted her boyfriend, Nico, when she saw him. You, on the other hand, stood frozen on the spot still trying to process her words.

What?

This was a what?

What did she say? This was a double-date.

It didn't take long for you to look in the direction she walked and, indeed, there was another man standing in their company. Well dressed, you must say, but that didn't matter.

"Abi!" You whisper-shouted. "Abigail!" You tried again, but it was hopeless.

With hesitance heavy in your step, you walked closer to where they were and stretched your lips into the kindest smile you could muster. Who cares if your heart had dropped down to your ass, and it felt like a witch was stirring her magic pot in your stomach? Who cares, really.

"Oh, you're here now." Abigail laughed heartily, ignoring the glare on your face. "Let's get the pleasantries over and done with, yeah?"

"Hi..." This other man flashed a smile, and dammit, you were already hooked. "I'm Rúben. Nice to meet you."

"H-hey..." Fuck, you butchered that but you still offered him a smile. "I'm Y/N. It's nice to meet you too, Rúben."

It didn't even register that he grabbed your hand — that's how gentle he was — until he was bowing and placing a small, chaste kiss on your knuckles. The room went silent—or that's what it felt like to you—as his brown eyes hooded by his thick eyebrows sought out a reaction.

He was satisfied when his eyes fell to your reddened cheeks, and pressed his forehead to your hand. Before lifting from his hunched position, he kissed your hand again and went back to standing behind a chair.

"That was... intense." You heard Abigail whisper (not so much if you could hear it) to Nico to which he nodded in agreement.

But they were right. That was intense, and for all the right reasons. Maybe, this double-date wasn't such a bad idea if you got to spend the evening with an attractive man like Rúben.

*******

"Did I mention how beautiful you look today?"

"Only for the millionth time, Rúben." You replied, blushing profusely at the compliment.

"Well, it needs to be said a million times then."

Rúben shifted back into his seat, not like a few seconds ago when he leaned over to whisper in your ear, as his arm still hung on the back of your chair. His fingertips had been grazing your exposed shoulder, leaving goosebumps to appear on your skin.

"Isn't weird how they roped us into this double date?" Changing the subject quickly. Feeling your cheeks begin to heat up, you grabbed the glass that the chiller was in and started to sip on it.

"Double-date?" Rúben asked, confused.

His lips pursed when he was confused, you figured out, and it made you want to kiss them so badly. But, that was not what you should be focusing on.

"Yeah, Abi told me this was a double-date. Didn't Nico mention it to you, by chance?"

He shook his head, "All he said was that we were having lunch with Abi and her friend (you)."

He smirked and it made the witch hasten her movements in your stomach, "Do you consider this a date?"

"I— I— it's not about what I'm considering. Abi called it a date—" Stammering over your words, it brought a cheeky smile to Rúben's lips.

"No, no—" He cut you off. "—I asked if you wanted this to be a date. Well, do you?"

"It's a hard question... to answer."

The corner of his mouth lifted up into a small smirk as he breathed a laugh onto your skin, the warm air hiking your body temperatures up a few degrees.

"I'm just teasing." He let out, breathlessly.

Playfully slapping his knee, you turned in his direction and saw the cheeky smile he had on his face. "Why do you hate me?"

"I don't hate you, mi amor. It's because I like you that I like teasing you, too much, if I'd admit so myself."

"You're lucky you're good-looking or else, you'd have a glass of red wine in your lap by now."

He winced. "Ouch. So my looks saved my pants a trip to the cleaners then?"

Nodding your head, "Yes, exactly."

He let out a boisterous laugh — one that echoed in the quiet hum of the restaurant. It surprised you that he found such a simple statement funny, but nevertheless, you smiled at his enjoyment. When he quieted down and took a sip from his water, he turned to you.

All mirth erased from his eyes and seriousness had taken over, "I was serious about earlier, though."

"About what?" You whispered and he leaned in closer to hear your softened words.

"The date. Do you consider this to be a date because if you didn't, I was going to ask you on a real one. Just you and me."

It caught you by surprise and only when he tucked the free-flowing hair that was in your face behind your ear, did you pull yourself out of whatever you were in.

"I don't mind... going on a date with you again. This was fun. With or without our friends here, I really enjoyed today."