Chapter 18

"Pierson says we are to wait for reinforcements before we progress. They're delayed right now." Daniels explained as he walked back to us from Pierson's tent.

Aiello and I didn't speak all morning. He wouldn't even glance at me now. Every time I thought about his woman back home, my heart ached.
I tried to shake the thoughts away and listen to a conversation Daniels and Zuss were having.
"How long do you think we'll be here for?" Zuss asked Daniels but all he could do was shrug his shoulders at his question.
"I'm sure it won't be too long now." Stiles said with optimism in his voice. I half smiled at him.
Aiello lit up a cigarette and stared out into the distance. "I miss sex." Was all he contributed to that conversation, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Attention!" Davis announced as he motioned for our platoon to gather around. "Today's mission is on hold until further notice. Reinforcements will not be able to make it. Consider this as a day for training and leisure." He finished and we all saluted him before turning to go back to our tents.

"Well at least that's one mission away from Pierson getting us killed." I joked as Daniels, Stiles and Zuss laughed. All Aiello did was scoff sarcastically, "Yeah right." He mumbled, but I heard him.
I opened my mouth to say something but stopped when he walked away from me. What did I do to him? Was it because of our kiss? Did I take it too far?

"Don't worry about him, Green." Zuss said beside me. "I think he's just missing home." I nodded, but I knew there could be more to that.

Still, I was going to try and find out what was up with him.

————————————————————————

It had been a few hours already. Aiello and Stiles played card games, Daniels and Zuss sat and watched and made their own conversations. Aiello didn't even ask me to play with them, I couldn't think of what I did wrong.

I decided to pass time and re-read my dad's letter, just to try and soak in the reality of him actually being gone. The reality of coming home and him not being there to welcome me with open arms. The reality of me not being able to attend his funeral.
I sighed and folded the letter and placed it in my bag.

"You okay, Green?" Daniels asked, he must have noticed me looking at the letter. I simply nodded to him with a smile. He looked hesitant to my response but then continued his conversation with Zuss.

"Daniels!" Pierson's voice boomed as he made his way to our tent. "A word..." Daniels glanced at us all before leaving with Pierson.
Aiello scoffed and pointed to me. "Surprised he wasn't wanting you."
My head tilted in confusion to Aiello's words. "Why's that?" I questioned but all he could do was roll his eyes.
"Because it's obvious, ain't it?!" His words caused me to flinch and he threw his cards all over the table, some even landing on the floor before he stormed out and began walking to the forest.

I immediately got up and helped Stiles pick up all 52 cards and placed them back in the box.
"Jeez. What's up with him?" Stiles asked but all I genuinely did not know.
"I don't know, Stiles." I replied and watched Aiello's figure get smaller and smaller as he got further away.
Zuss tapped his fingers against the wooden table and smirked. "I think someone is a little jealous." He finally said. I stared at him, probably looking lost.
"Jealous of what?" Stiles pondered and Zuss pointed to me with the same smirk.
"He said he has a girl back home, Zuss." I retorted with a hint of bitterness, causing his smirk to become wider.

"I'm back and-" Daniels walked in but stopped as he looked around at us. "Where's Aiello?" He asked, completely abandoning what he was going to say before.
"He's just having a moment. He'll be fine." Zuss replied, wiggling his brows at me. I rolled my eyes at his behaviour and ran a hand through my hair.