Chapter 16

"T-The c-cold will b-be the death o-of me." Stiles shivered and wrapped his arms around himself in attempt to warm up.
We walked through the snow, my feet were already numb from the coldness. Zuss and I trailed behind the others, he was trying to get something out of me. Something to do with Aiello.
He rubbed his hands together and smirked at me, "So what happened last night Greenie? And don't lie to me."
I rolled my eyes and brushed a few strands of hair with my gloved hands.
"I have no idea what you're talking about." I lied to him, trying to hide the smirk that was probably apparent.

It's like Zuss knew me more than I knew myself. He knew when I was lying. I usually told Zuss everything. I saw him as a brother, the brother I never had. Our bond was something I cherished deeply. But I guess you could say that about the others too. We would forever be family. The war brought us closer together.

"I'm sure I just said don't lie to me." Zuss retorted with his brow raised, sarcasm dripping from his words.
I glanced over at him and my smirk became more obvious, which made him snigger.
"We just went out for a smoke, Zuss." I responded and felt a familiar heat on my cheeks. At least my face was warm in this weather.
Zuss noticed this and nudged my shoulder lightly in a playful manner. "I don't believe you for one minute." A grim on his face as he looked over at Aiello, who walked ahead, then back at me.

I let out a light sigh and looked at the ground. My cheeks were burning now. I glanced up at Aiello as he joked with Stiles and some other men.
"If you really must know, Zuss..." I began as I glared at him playfully. "I was cold, so he gave me his jacket and then we had this really long hug. And then we gazed at the stars for a little. Satisfied?" He smiled at my true response and patted my back.
"That wasn't so hard, was it?" He taunted and I shoved him, resulting him to hold his hands up in defence.

Aiello looked over at us and I saw his face slightly drop. He stopped walking and we caught up with him.
"Y'know how slow you guys walk?" He complained and I tried to hide the blush on my cheeks by looking away.
"We were just discussing your relation-" I cut Zuss off before he could finish that embarrassing sentence. I wrapped my hand around his mouth and Aiello gazed at me with his brows raised.
"He's just joking." I giggled nervously, "Aren't you, Zuss?" I narrowed my eyes and Zussman and watched him nod his head slowly. I removed my hand and tried to avoid Aiello's confused gaze.

"We should hurry up." I muttered quietly and rushed by the two, who were laughing at my embarrassment.
I caught up with Stiles and listened to him complain about the cold, hoping it would distract me from what just happened.

—————————————————————

The five of us sat in the trench and shivered quietly, waiting for Pearson to assign us with tasks.

"Nice boots, College. They look new." Zuss said as he looked over at Stiles.
I lit a cigarette and offered for the others to take one.
"Yeah. He poached 'em off some replacement. That poor kid froze to death." Aiello added from next to me, lighting the cigarette I gave him.
Stiles shrugged his shoulders and looked over at Daniels, "If Pierson wasn't so stingy with requisitions, I wouldn't have to steal." He explained but Daniels waved a hand.
"It's okay. They weren't doing the replacement any good."
Zussman looked at Daniels with a smile, "Where's that farm kid I used to know?" He asked and Daniels shrugged. "If you see him, give me a holler."

"Helluva Christmas, huh, guys?" Stiles remarked, looking at everyone with a hint of sadness. I tossed my cigarette on the ground and put it out under my shoe.
Aiello scoffed and leaned back on the trench wall. "Oh, yeah. Why would I wanna be cuddled up by a nice warm fire with a gal, when I could be freezing my ass off with you bastards?" He wrapped his arm around me which made me look up at him in slight shock. I felt relaxed under his touch.