Chapter 15

'It's been six weeks since we lost Turner. Pierson has lost his mind completely.
I have doubts about my fate. Sometimes, Aiello reassures me that everything is going to be fine. But we're at war, and anything could happen.

But I'm going to try and make it home to you, mom. I have to. I love you so much, and I'll write to you again as soon as I can.

Your daughter,
Heidi.'

—————————————————————

My gloves and overcoat helped me keep warm in this awful weather. We were all sat around a fire, drinking to keep our bodies as warm as they could get.

Some soldiers were decorating trees with empty cans. It was Christmas Day, so we tried to do what we could to make the most of it. My mom is spending today all alone. And I'm stuck here with an asshole; the leader of our Platoon.

"Merry Christmas, Turner." Daniels broke the silence as he raised his bottle.
We all joined in with him and I small smile formed on my lips. I couldn't help but hope he was looking down on us.

"Oh, and Turner." Aiello said from next to me, "Pierson made Farmboy over here a Corporal. I wonder what you'd think of that." I hit him lightly in his chest and drank some more of the alcohol.
"Probably that you're the same old sack 'a shit, Aiello." Zussman piped up, I rolled my eyes at them both and glanced at Daniels.
"This ain't the time." Daniels scolded and lifted his bottle up again.
"To Turner." We all said together before drinking again.

"To Turner." A deep, drunk voice made us turn around. I sighed at the sight of Pierson before looking away from him.
"Lucky son of a bitch." He stumbles his way towards us, causing me to roll my eyes.
"You're always first, right?" As he approached us, I could feel Aiello's hand on my back. I glanced at him before glaring up at Pierson.
"Keep eyeballin' me." He muttered lowly to us. "Yeah, get your jollies tonight boys. Because tomorrow when that convoy comes through, you're gonna be on the frontline defending it." He in front of the fire and glared harshly at us, his eyes stopping at me. "And Turner's not gonna be there to defend you!" He grumbled before kicking the fire.

Daniels and Zussman stood up to hold Pierson, "Easy!" Daniels said. Pierson pushes himself away and marches up to Daniels, with hatred in his eyes. "Easy... You're Corporal now, huh? Yeah, let's see how fucking easy it is." Pierson was in Daniels' face, which made my blood boil. Aiello looked at me and rubbed my back with his hand, telling me to keep quiet.
"Go on. Gimme an excuse." Pierson sneered to Daniels.

Daniels shook his head and backed away, sitting back down.
"Yeah that's what I thought." Pierson said lowly. "Six years I served with that man. Six." He was referring to Turner. He looked over at Stiles and Zussman, then at Aiello and I.
Pierson pointed to me and his face expression hardened. "Let's see how long you last out there. Now that Turner's gone... You're in my world. And I ain't gonna go easy on ya." I bit my lip from saying anything. I ran a hand through my hair and stood up. I barged past Pierson, shoving him with my shoulder before storming to the tent.

I hated Pierson with a passion. He had something to say to me all of the time. I lasted so long before being here. Before I even met Turner. And he was still doubting me.

I removed my boots and some gear before unbuttoning some of the buttons on my shirt. I then laid in my sleeping bag and tried to shake the great speech that asshole gave to me. I inhaled deeply and closed my eyes.

————————————————————

"Green?" I could hear someone whisper lowly. My eyes slowly opened and I sat up with a groan. Looking around, I saw Zuss sitting in his sleeping bag, whilst everyone else was asleep.
"What time is it?" Was all I could ask, the dark sky told me it was early hours in the morning. Zuss looked at his watch and glanced at me, "03:00."