Chapter 14

"Turner!" I cried out. His groans were muffled with pain. I couldn't believe my eyes... He was shot.
The enemy responsible for this then jumped from the Tiger and clutched a pistol in his hand. He muttered some words in German, but we couldn't understand. The enemy looked at Daniels, then me. I glanced down at Turner and squinted my eyes shut, knowing I was next. I heard the click of a gun, he was loading it. I kept my eyes closed and waited for the end.

But two gunshots filled my ears, making me jump slightly. I didn't feel no pain. I slowly opened my eyes and saw the enemy on the ground, blood pouring from his lifeless body. Daniels tossed the gun to the side and we both moved over to Turner.

"Turner!" Pierson ran over to us and looked at the Lieutenant in sadness.
"Enemy reinforcements! Fall back!" He then warned. I tried to help Turner has he clenched his side, blood covering his palms and uniform.
"I'm not... Not gonna make it. Leave me." He croaked out. My heart sunk to my stomach.
"We can't leave you!" I cried out, as tears filled my eyes.
"I got you!" Daniels dragged him to safety.
I wiped the tears from my eyes and shot a few Germans, with anger pulsing through me.
"We're not gonna make it!" Stiles gave up but I glared at him before firing at the enemies. "We have to!"

I turned around and saw Daniels leaning Turner against cover. "Aaaah!" Turner groaned in pain and held pressure on his side.
"Stay with me." Daniels mumbled to him, he began to tear up too.
Daniels supported him and helped him sit up. "Turner!" He shouted when he noticed his eyes were closed.
I ran over to them and lightly shook Turner's arm. "Sir, wake up..." I chocked through tears. I pulled out my first aid equipment and tried to take a look at the wound.

"Lieutenant!" Zussman hurried over and knelt down with me. My hands trembled, but I tried to keep still as I looked at the wound. The bullet was wedged in his side. I shook my head and tried to regain hope.
Turner started to wake up, his face scrunched up in pain. Pierson ran over to us and crouched at his side.

"You gotta get our boys outta here."

"No. We can still make it."

"You have to. You have to retreat."

"No! We ain't leavin' you here!"

"You get me up. I'll hold 'em off."

I tried to ignore what Turner was saying and pulled out a pair of pliers. "I can try!" I shouted and Pierson nodded, his eyes squinted as he tried to hold back tears.
Just as I was about to move the pliers to Turner's side, he rested his hand on mine, stopping me.
"Green...?" I looked up at Turner as tears rolled down my cheeks. "Remember w-what I told you?" He asked, stuttering a little. I nodded my head and he tried to smile, but it was hardly visible. "Don't forget anything I ever said. I'm proud to have fought with you."

More tears were spilling from my eyes and I couldn't help but let out a whimper. I rested my hand on his shoulder and squeezed it slightly before wiping my eyes. Blood began to pour from the Lieutenant's mouth, meaning that there was not much chance of survival.

Turner faced Pierson and grunted in pain. "You have to go! Go!" He ordered and Pierson finally gave in.
"It was an honour." Pierson muttered to him as his voice cracked a little.

"No sacrifice too great." Turner mumbled as I sobbed lightly. "Go."

Pierson slowly stood and sighed heavily. "Fall back!" He shouted to all of us.
"Sergeant!" Daniels said as he held Turner. We helped Turner up gently, as he used the sandbags for support.
"Move! Move!" Zussman shouted at Daniels and I, as we struggled to leave Turner behind.
"I can't leave him." I mumbled to Daniels and he sadly nodded, agreeing with me.
"Fall back, I said!" Pierson said as he pulled Daniels away, while Zussman pulled me away.
"You can't do this!" Daniels yelled out as we watched Turner struggle to aim his gun.
"That was an order, Goddamnit!" Pierson screamed over the heavy gunfire.
"No..." I mumbled and tried to stop Zussman, "We can't leave." Zussman looked at me with a hurt expression on his face.
"No! No!" Daniels cried out as we saw Turner fall from being shot again. He stood back up, trying to fight back, but another bullet knocked him down.
"No!" Daniels shouted. I sobbed uncontrollably as Turner's lifeless body laid there.