Chapter 8

It was still early. We had finished the mission and had a long break before getting any rest. The five of us were sat in our tent, talking about random shit to make a conversation.

"Pierson really has it in for you, huh?" Stiles glanced at me, still messing with his camera. I put the cigarette to my lips and inhaled. "And I really have it in for him." I blew the smoke out as I spoke. Stiles simply nodded, "He doesn't have a heart." He mumbled, shaking his head a little. Aiello piped up, "He lost it at Kasserine, College." He said to Stiles and put out his cigarette. I removed my helmet from my head and groaned. "He just doesn't seem to get over the fact that a woman can do just as good as him." I spoke, shrugging my shoulders slightly. Daniels nodded his head, "He'll never get over it, Green. He's stubborn as hell." He said to me, making me chuckle lightly. "You don't say..."

"Maybe he likes ya." Zussman blurted, making me look at him with wide eyes. "Y'know... That's probably why he's like that with ya." He explained more but I denied it almost instantly. He hated me and I hated him. "No. I highly doubt that, Zuss. And even if he did, I'd rather pass. He's not exactly my type." I told him, laughing a little. I put the cigarette to my lips and inhaled. I blew the smoke out of my mouth and put my cigarette out, stepping on it with my foot. "So... What is your type?" Aiello asked me with his brows raised. I hesitated but then decided to answer, "Well for a start, you have to respect me. You also have to be a gentleman. Just the basic shit..." I explained, messing around with my dog tags.

"Green," My head raised to a solider stood at the flap of the tent. "This is for you." He passed me a letter and I thanked him before he left. I looked down at the envelope and sighed, hoping it wasn't what I thought it was. I hoped it was about my father getting better. "You gonna open it?" Stiles asked and I hesitated for a moment. I quickly nodded my head at his question and teared the envelope open. I took a deep breath before unfolding the letter. "Do you want us to give you some space?" Daniels asked me. I was reluctant to give them him an answer at first. The last thing I wanted was to cry in front of them if my father's illness got worse. "No. I'm sure I'll be fine." I answered his question before reading the letter.

"Dear Heidi,

I still haven't had a condolence letter yet. I'm so happy you're still alive. Queens isn't the same without you. We're not the same without you. I miss you so, so much, Heidi and I hope you miss me too.

Your father is being treated a lot more. His illness may disappear again. The doctors are looking after him and making sure he's in good condition. I hope it lasts. I'm telling you this so that you don't have to worry as much as I know you already were. You have the battlefield to focus on. Your father loves you so very much like I do too. We both hope you're back soon.

Stay strong and keep fighting for us.

All my love,
Your mother."

A smile grew on my face and thought about my father being treated well. I had high hopes of seeing him when this war was over.

"So? Is everything alright?" Zussman asked me once he noticed the smile on my face. My eyes trailed away from the paper to look at my friends. "Yeah," I replied, folding the letter back up. "Everything's fine." I stood from the ground and dusted myself off. "I'm gonna go walk around and see if I can find any more ammo for tomorrow's mission. Anyone coming?" I waited for a few seconds and was about to turn to leave but Aiello stood up, "Sure." He responded and looked down at me, "Ladies first." He seemed to love saying that. I didn't mind it, though. I heard Zussman whistle before we left and I couldn't help but laugh a little.

The walk to find ammo was pretty quiet. I glanced up at Aiello, looking at his dark hair fall on his face now and then. He was quite... attractive.

"What's on your mind, Green?" I snapped out of my thoughts and noticed I was staring at him. "Oh, I was just..." I trailed off and watched that same old smirk appear on his face. "Just looking at me..?" He stated with a hint of questioning in his tone. I shook my head and laughed, "I was thinking. I stare when I think." I tried to come up with an explanation but his smirk grew wider. "Thinking about me?" He asked me, causing me to roll my eyes playfully.