Chapter 4 - Feelings

Years passed and I bonded with all of my new family members.
I began calling Korn dad because he felt more like a father with me growing up.
Kim and Kinn got used to calling me mum for a short period of time and they still did as a joke years later.
Tankhun was more "formal" with me and he simply called me Phi and I called him Nong.
Vegas and Macau used to call me "Big sister", I found that really cute and I wanted it to last a bit longer than it actually did.
Gun was more and more subtle and cold with me and sometimes he hit me, but it didn't bother me too much.
When I was thirteen, I started to learn how to use guns, how to fight to defend myself and all of that stuff, mainly because I was in the mafia and I had to learn the basics. Korn said that he wanted me to learn this stuff because he was scared someone could hurt me.
When I was I guess fourteen or so, Namphueng stopped coming to our house and I found that strange. But that wasn't too relevant.
Also, in these years, I started to see a little girl, around the same age as Macau, maybe younger, occasionally running in the minor family's house, but when I asked who she was, no one seemed to know. I assumed she was the daughter of some maid in the house.

At the age of fifteen there was an event that changed my life drastically.
I met a guy during a night market in town: his name was Sunan, he was twenty one years old and he was the sweetest man I've ever met, Korn aside.
I remember thinking he was a bit old for me, but I couldn't help myself, he was very attractive and charming.
I remember how we first met: I was at a night market with Vegas to eat some goods. It was a bit chilly outside and I was about to buy a couple of soup bowls for me and Vegas, who was waiting for me not so far away, when I felt something behind me, a tall figure hovering over me "Hi lady! A bowl of soup for me too please!" he asked the market woman kindly.
I turned to see who this man was and then I saw him: much taller than me, smiling, with his dark eyes glowing and his bleached hair changing color according to the lighting in the market stall.
He spoke again, looking at me this time "Oh I'm sorry, am I too close?" he asked, stepping back a little "No don't worry!" I smiled shyly at him "My name is Sunan, nice to meet you" he smiled and bowed a little "I'm Ada, nice to meet you too" I bowed too
"You don't look Thai.. where are you from?"
"I was born in Italy but I moved here when I was five"
"Italy? Wow that's far!" he laughed
"Yeah a little" I laughed too "How old are you Sunan?"
"I'm twenty one. And you? You seem very young.."
"I'm fifteen actually" I smiled.
I was going to add something but the market lady called me to get the soup. I turned towards her and took the box with the soup inside "I need to go to my little cousin now, see you around Sunan" I smiled at him once more and headed towards Vegas.
I gave him his soup, we sat at an empty table and we ate in peace, chatting and laughing together.
After we finished the soup I saw Sunan approaching us "Hey Ada! I didn't understand that you would stay here! I would have followed you!" he laughed, sitting next to me.
He introduced himself to Vegas and we started talking about basic topics.
After a while it began to get dark and Vegas was sleeping with his head on the table. Sunan looked at me and started talking "Hey.. I know it's a bit weird but.. I really think you're beautiful" he smiled. I felt my cheeks heating up "Really..?" I asked avoiding his gaze, then I added "I think you're beautiful too..". The night went on with us giving each other compliments, exchanging numbers and he even offered to accompany me home, but I declined. He hugged me before going away and I had his perfume on me all night. It was calming and it made my heart pound fast. I didn't sleep that night.
We started texting each other and I eventually started to grow feelings for him.
We acted like friends and we never talked about feelings or other things.
We started going out together, eating together and he even invited me to his place sometimes.
After a couple of months I decided to confess my feelings for him: it was almost midnight and we were doing a sleepover. I was in my sleeping bag next to his and I turned to look at him "Sunan. I think I have to tell you something" I started, feeling my heart exploding already "Tell me Ada, what's the matter?" he asked, curious "Well.. I think.." the words got stuck in my throat and I hesitated "Ada, is everything alright?" he seemed worried "Yeah.. it's just that.. I like you Sunan" I finally said after a couple of seconds.
He looked at me with wide eyes and after a little he smiled widely "I like you too Ada" he confessed too.
I felt on cloud nine, I jumped out of my sleeping bag and hugged him tightly. He hugged me in response and added something "But.. aren't you a bit young to stay with someone my age..? I mean.. are you sure you want to stay with me? I want to stay with you and I will wait until you're ready to do anything.. but I'm afraid you'll find me boring and too old for you.." he said worriedly "Are you kidding? Of course I'm sure to stay with you! I don't give a shit about age!" I laughed and I felt him tighten his hold onto my body.
We hugged each other and smiled like idiots all night, cuddling and talking about how and when we started to grow feelings for each other.

I was happier than ever, but Korn wasn't as excited as I was: he was very reluctant and doubting about Sunan. He found him too old for me and he also said he was just lying and fooling me around. I didn't believe him and this led to us fighting pretty often. I hated fighting with Korn, but I was just a teenager and I was in love.
I remember starting to get some distance from my family, I didn't talk to my brothers like some weeks before and I started ignoring even Vegas and Macau.

A couple of weeks after we started dating he gave me my first kiss: we were at the night market together, without Vegas, even if he wanted to come with us. We were eating and out of the blue he came near me and kissed me. It was soft and gentle, a completely innocent kiss that didn't lead anywhere. Heart racing and cheeks flushing, everything was just how I wished my first kiss would be.
Sunan was the guy I've always dreamt of as a teenager, kind, respectful, always smiling, waiting for consent, giving me little gifts, treating me like a princess and so on.
We both celebrated our birthdays together: he turned twenty two after six months of relationship and I turned sixteen just three months into our relationship.
We used to stay together almost everyday, also because I've never been to school during my teenage years, so it was very easy to be together.
I remember wanting to try some "adult" stuff with him: I wasn't a kid anymore, I liked his body a lot and I loved him, so I wanted to take a step forward with him, but he told me that he wasn't ready yet, he didn't want me to regret my decisions in the future and asked me to wait a little longer.
And I obliged.