Chapter 15 - The men

My life couldn't be more perfect and happy.
I had everything I ever wanted: a loving family, a beautiful and caring partner and a bright future ahead of me.
Korn gave me more and more training to do, but I was fine with that. He always said that I was very promising and that when I turned twenty I would join the family's missions, and I was excited about it.
But I didn't know that my life would've taken an unexpected turn a few months after Tasanee's birthday.

Summer had gone, the trees turned red and orange, the bright sun was still there, but the air felt dryer and cooler. During the night it started to get cold and I really appreciated this season, until then.

It was a cool and a bit cloudy day of November: me and Tasanee decided to walk around the city, eat something for dinner at a random restaurant and then come back home.
The day started like any other day, with me taking her from her house, hopping onto the motorbike and heading to the center of the city.
I parked the bike somewhere nearby and we started wandering around, occasionally entering shops, looking at clothes and trying some on. We ended up buying two hoodies, a black one for me and a pastel one for her, and a pair of baggy shorts for me, because Tasanee said that I had to buy new ones, as the ones I owned were too old and consumed by time.
Soon dinner time arrived, so we searched for a good place to eat. We walked for quite a while, walking away from the center, until she cutely pointed at a tiny and traditional looking place, running towards it right after, making her long hair swing in the cool air. The restaurant was very small, heading towards the street, with quite a few tables and chairs placed outside, but it felt very warm and comforting, various smells mixed together floating in the air, entering my nostrils and giving me a weird nostalgia I didn't know I could feel.
We sat down at one of the few tables right outside the entrance and ordered our food: she asked for her favorite dish, Khao Soi, while I ordered a Pad Krapow.
I remember us laughing, giving each other bites of food to let the other taste what we choose, smiling brightly. We kissed a lot that evening, not even caring about the other clients giving us grossed out looks or whispering about us.
Soon after we finished eating we paid and headed out, hand in hand, me holding the bags with our new clothes, walking around the dark streets. It wasn't a very comforting thing to do, but I knew exactly how to protect Tasanee and myself from a possible mugger or any malicious person. But nothing could prepare me for who we came in contact with.

We were heading back to the bike, but we were still in a dark and isolated area, with little to no people around. As we walked, I heard a faint sound, like some metal scratching against the ground in the distance. I immediately stopped and listened carefully
"Ada, is there something wrong?" Tasanee asked me, caressing the back of my hand
"I don't know.. I thought I heard something" I confessed, walking again and accelerating my pace.
After a couple of minutes, I heard that sound again, but closer
"Fuck, did you hear it?" I asked Tasanee, tightening my grip on her hand
"Yes.. what was that..?" she asked, gripping my arm
"I don't know.. keep walking" I said, gripping her wrist and walking fast, trying to get away from the noise.
As we were almost running, a man suddenly appeared in front of us, he was holding a metal rod and looking intensely at me
"There she is" he said, grinning and wetting his lips and trying to approach us. I quickly dragged Tasanee away from him and started running
"Ada! What's going on?!" she was trying to get an answer from me, her voice cracking, visibly scared. But I couldn't answer her.
I was scared as much as her, but I had to keep my composure and think straight. So I ran away, trying to get to the bike without encountering that man, or other ones.
After a couple of minutes of running, I saw two men in front of us, both of them with no weapons or similar stuff. I stopped, catching my breath, and I heard them speaking
"Ada, stop running, we already made sure you won't run away" the man on the left said, crossing his arms
"Yeah, stop causing so much trouble to us" the man on the right added, grinning
"Our boss doesn't like to wait..".
Hearing that sentence, my blood froze: that meant those men were from the mafia, and they were searching for me.
I wouldn't have had issues if I was alone, I could handle people hitting me as hard as they could, but with me there was Tasanee, and she couldn't bear any of the things they surely had in mind.
So I started running again, gripping her wrist very tightly.
"Ada! What's going on! They know your name! Who the fuck are they?!" she asked desperately, I heard her voice changing pitch and her nose sniffing, indicating that she was crying
"Keep running Tasanee" I simply replied, trying to stay as calm as I could.