Chapter 10 - Home

After a while I got out of the water, dried myself, blow dried my hair and changed into new freshly cleaned clothes. I headed to my bedroom and I almost forgot how big and comfortable it was. I got into the bed and covered myself with thick blankets. Everything was extremely soft, it smelled good and it was warm.
I heard a knock on the door, followed by an "It's me" said by Korn. I told him to come in and he complied, entering the room and sitting on my bed.
"Do you feel better?" he asked me, smiling softly and caressing my hair
"Yes.." I replied, enjoying his delicate touch
"I missed you Ada.. everyone missed you" he revealed, his voice breaking
"I missed you too.. all of you" a tear escaping my eyes "I'm sorry for what I said.. I didn’t mean it I swear" I started sobbing
"I know baby" he smiled and hugged me tightly. I hid my face in his chest, hugging him as tight as I could, sobbing and crying, repeatedly saying how sorry I was.
We stayed like that for a long time, until I calmed myself down, Korn drying my tears and wishing me good night.
"I love you Ada" he smiled, caressing my cheeks
"I love you too dad" I smiled back, feeling like nothing ever happened that infamous day. He kissed my forehead and then he exited the room.
That was the first of the few times Korn said out loud his feelings towards me, and that felt so heartwarming. It felt like home.

I remember falling asleep pretty fast, tired by the many events of that night.
After a while I heard a knock, followed by a "Can we come in?" said by Kinn. I saw Kinn opening the door slowly, with Kim behind him, each of them holding a pillow.
"Can we.. sleep with you?" Kim asked, looking at the floor. I smiled and lifted the covers, signaling them to jump on the bed.
They ran towards me and climbed the bed, placing themselves near me, in the way we used to sleep together when they were very little. Kim was hugging me, his face buried in my neck and Kinn was behind me, his face pressed on my back. They only wanted to sleep with me when they had nightmares or when they couldn’t sleep. That time was because they missed me a lot I guess.
I slept for eight hours straight, without waking in the middle of the night like the previous six months.

The next day I decided to go see Vegas and Macau. I went there pretty early, finding Macau near the door, immediately jumping on me as soon as he saw me
"ADA! YOU'RE BACK!" he yelled, hugging my neck. I held him in my arms tightly, cuddling him for a while.
I then searched for Vegas, which was in his room according to his little brother.
I approached his room and knocked. "Who’s there?" he asked. I said nothing, wanting to surprise him, so I opened the door and revealed myself to him, with open arms, eyes watering as soon as I saw him.
He just stayed there, watching me "What are you doing here?" he asked coldly
"I'm back! Come here little one" I smiled at him, kneeling to be at his level, arms still open.
"Dad.. told me that you said we are not your family.. you said that you hate us.. I also heard you calling me a psycho" his voice was shaking, his lower lip trembling
"Vegas.. I didn’t mean what I said.. I'm sorry.. I don’t think you’re a psycho, you're my little brother, you're my family, the only thing that matters to me" I sincerely said, getting closer to him
"You're telling the truth right?" he asked, starting to cry "You're not a liar right?" he asked again, eyes full of tears and fear.
"No I'm not.. come here please" I pleaded, wanting to hug and comfort him.
He ran towards me, hiding his face in my chest, his little arms hugging me as tight as he could. I hugged him back, caressing his back while he sobbed and said incoherent words. I kissed his head and told him how much I've missed him, how happy I was to see him again and that he was my family.
That day me, Vegas and Macau stayed in Vegas' room, playing with hedgehogs and cuddling together, trying to take back the time we lost to be together.
I remember feeling watched all the time, thinking it probably was Gun, surely not happy to see me coming back to his house.

I was at home, I could finally be happy again, feel free again, but I couldn’t.
I killed people, I lived in hell for six months, I was used as a literal doll for too long.
Something inside of my mind had been broken, I wasn’t the same girl as before.
I had constant nightmares of that place, of the faces of the guards dying because of me, of Sunan coming for me to take his revenge.
I pretended to be ok, to be happy, but I surely wasn’t. I had no tears left to cry, my mind was always heavy and tired. My smoke habit soon became an addiction due to all the stress and bad thoughts.
Having my family near me was the only comfort I had, it was the only escape I had from myself.

Months passed and I turned seventeen. My family threw me a party and invited all the guards too. I was happy, genuinely, but that guilt and disgust towards me didn’t let me enjoy it. I felt stressed just by a simple touch on the shoulder.
I remember the gift Korn gave me: a motorcycle. I was very surprised by that gift, but very pleased and happy about it too. I soon got my driving license and started to drive around the city with my motorbike.
I found it so liberating, the wind crashing on me, the late night rides all by myself, stopping in the middle of nowhere and thinking while smoking a cigarette. I often brought Vegas with me, he enjoyed it a lot and he liked to spend some alone time with me. I also used to take the others with me, but I took rides with Vegas at least twice a week.
The motorcycle helped me distract myself from my thoughts, but it wasn’t enough.
I remember trying to drink alcohol while with the other girls, and it helped me forget one of the horrifying nights I had with a client.
So one day I decided to try and go to a bar. I got myself a fake ID card, to drink alcohol in peace, and I drove all the way up to a bar that looked calm and almost empty. I got off my bike and took off my helmet.
I got inside the bar and I was immediately greeted by a woman
“Hey~ Welcome here girl! I’m Yok, how can I serve you tonight?” the woman asked, smiling sweetly at me, resting her elbows on the counter
“Hi! I’m Ada, nice to meet you. I would like a gin tonic please” I smiled back at her
“Ada? That’s an exotic name! Where are you from?” she asked curious
“Italy, but I live here since I was five” I answered
“Interesting.. your gin tonic is on the way!” she smiled again, starting to prepare my drink. I sat down at the counter and waited, looking around. The place wasn’t too big, it looked comfortable and intimate. There were some girls and maybe one or two boys, all minding their business and enjoying their drinks.
I drank a couple of gin tonics and enjoyed my evening, chatting with Yok and leaving after a few hours. I wasn’t drunk, I was just a bit lightheaded, enough to make a laugh and come back home with a smile on my face, forgetting my thoughts for a bit.

A few weeks later, my life took a weird and unexpected turn.
I was at Yok’s bar, drinking, when a girl around my age approached me
“Hey! I saw you here the other day and you seemed very friendly! I’m Tasanee” she smiled at me and bowed a little
“Oh hi! I’m Ada” I smiled back, looking at her: she was beautiful, with long silky black hair, a perfect smile on her face, her eyes dark, but sparkly.
“Ada.. your name is beautiful! Tell me more about you” she asked, still smiling.
And with that, we chatted all night long, drinking, laughing. I found out she was the same age as me, and that she had a fake ID too to drink there.
I remember asking her where she lived
“Oh I live alone, in an apartment near here” she smiled
“Alone?” I asked
“Yes.. it’s a long story” she laughed nervously, avoiding the topic.
“Well, if you want I can give you a ride home” I told her, smiling a bit
“Wait, so the red bike out here is yours?” she asked excited
“Yes! Wanna take a ride?” I asked her, surprisingly very happy that she was so pleased to know that the bike was mine. With that, we rode around the city for a while, her arms tightly holding onto my waist. It was a weird feeling, it was calming and soothing. Her touch was so delicate and warm, it didn’t make me flinch or panic.
For the entire time I completely forgot the six months of pain and suffering. It felt like nothing happened and I was finally happy again.
I finally drove her home, taking my spare helmet back from her
“I really enjoyed this night” she admitted
“Me too” I smiled. She was about to open the door when she turned towards me again
“I almost forgot!” she said, taking her phone out of her pocket
“There! Write your number here” she said, handing me the phone. I quickly digited my number and she saved it after
“I’ll text you later, make sure to check your phone” she said, winking at me, waving me goodbye and entering her house.
I was left there, with a big smile on my face that lasted until I fell asleep that night.
Little did I know that night was just the beginning.