Falsity

"Pass me another slice," Sy asks, motioning towards the pizza box resting on the coffee table

"Pass me another slice," Sy asks, motioning towards the pizza box resting on the coffee table. I lean over to pass it to him before slouching onto the sofa and reverting my attention back to the tv.

Our peace is suddenly interrupted by a banging at the door. "Jayden," I mutter, knowing he said he was going to stop by later. Dex get's up, pizza still in hand as he approaches the door.

I don't bother looking at the door as it opens, being too engrossed in my show to care. "Erm hello?" Dex's confused voice causes me to glance over.

I immediately straighten up when the frantic woman calls out my name, her eyes scanning the room. 

I get up and head towards the door, my eyes widening when I finally recognise the woman as the maid who ushered me to Juliet's room the other day, the fact that she's still in uniform helping me draw the dots a lot quicker.

"Yes?" I ask urgently, not knowing why she's here but knowing it can't possibly be good. "J-Juliet," She pants out, clearly having ran up the three flights of stairs. "Just come," She pleads, motioning for me to follow her as she speeds down the hall. 

Me and Dex rush through the building behind her, the panic arising in my chest as theories of what could have made her so distressed rattle through my brain.

"She's in here," She says, flinging open the door of an unfamiliar car. 

The sight before us stops both me and Dex in our tracks. Juliet is slumped in the car seat, her face swollen and beaten as her entire body is littered with bruises.

"Juliet?" I rush to her side, taking her dazed face into hands. "What the fuck happened?" Dex yells at the woman as I examine Juliet.

She doesn't answer, biting her lip anxiously for a moment. "Jumped," Juliet coughs out, her voice hoarse and weak.

"She was jumped?" I question frantically, my head snapping back towards the woman. She nods slowly, avoiding eye contact with me. 

"We need to take her to the fucking hospital," I state the obvious, angry that she's not already there. "No," They both say in unison, a worried expression pulling on Juliet's bloody features.

"She doesn't want to go because the news will get ahold of it," The woman explains. "She just needs a place to sleep it off," She adds.

"Why?" Dex asks, the situation not making any sense. What does Juliet getting jumped have to do with not having a place to sleep?

They both remain silent for a moment before the woman finally let's out a stressed sigh. "Her dad left on a business trip this afternoon and accidentally locked her out, she needs a place to crash until the locksmiths can come open it," She replies, strangely looking down at her feet.

I nod, my worry for Juliet clouding my judgement. "I'm going to lift you up now alright?" I tell her, gently placing my arms around her as I slowly pull her up .

She winces as I position her in my arms, carefully carrying her towards the building. "Ssh it's okay we're almost there," I comfort her, watching the tears drip from her eyes as we ascend the flights of stairs.

I use my shoulder to barge into the dorm, storming past Sy who's eyes immediately widen when he sees Juliet's state. "Fucking hell," He exclaims, looking down at her as I carry her through the living room. 

I make it to my bedroom and place Juliet who is barely conscious on my bed. "What happened," Sy whispers as the sound of the front door shutting echos from down the hall.

"She was jumped," I tell him, my anger becoming unbearable as I look down at her beaten body. "What the fuck! Where?" He yells. "Be quiet," I grit through my clenched jaw, scared he'll startle Juliet.

"Can you hear me?" I ask her softly, careful tucking a loose strand of hair behind her ear. She nods her head, looking up at me with bloodshot eyes. "Can I have water p-please," She stutters out.

I immediately snap my head towards Cy, silently giving him the order. He rushes out just as Dex returns from talking with the woman downstairs. 

I rush towards my bathroom, grabbing a warm cloth before returning back to Juliet's side. "Tell me if I press too hard," I say, dapping it on her bruised skin and wiping away the remaining blood.

I can tell she's trying to hold it together but the pain is obviously too much for her to take. My heart clenches as I watch the tears drip down her face while I clean her up. 

"Here," Sy says, returning with a glass of water. I prop her up as he lifts the glass to her mouth and allows her to drink.

When she's finally done I gently lower her head back down to the pillow before wiping away her tears with my thumbs.

"Go get her some ice," I demand, turning to Dex who's still standing in complete shock in the doorway. He rushes off as I sit next to Juliet, rubbing comforting circles into her hand as my mind undergoes a mental battle.

I have to decide whether or not to give her some morphine to help with the pain. Sure I sell it illegally but it's still the exact same stuff they would have given her at the hospital but I'm still unsure. 

Considering she tried to buy fentanyl from me she may have some sort of  addiction that I'm unaware of and me giving her morphine may do her more longterm harm than good.

I curl and uncurl my fists as I look down at her, baffled how anyone could do this to Juliet of all people. "Do you want some painkillers?" I ask softly as I stroke her hair, the need to comfort and soothe her being overpowering.

"Please," She hiccups as her teary eyes stare into mine. "Alright," I sigh, getting off the bed and heading towards my stash. "Help her," I order Dex who's now returned with the ice wrapped in a tea towel. 

I sift through my draw, finally finding the little baggie filled with morphine capsules before turning back around. "Be fucking gentle," I scold Dex who's applying the ice a bit too roughly for my liking.

I push past him, returning to my spot next to Juliet. "Here," I offer, placing the pill in her mouth before grabbing the glass of water and lifting it towards her. "It should kick in soon," I assure her. 

"I want to sleep," She mumbles, the exhaustion visible on her face. "Okay," I nod, pulling my covers over her.

I glare at the boys, warning them to leave. I can tell they're still worried about Juliet but they reluctantly exit the room. "I'll be just outside, call me if you need me," I tell her, standing up.

"Stay," She whispers, weakly grabbing my arm as I turn to leave. "Please," She adds, her voice cracking. Unable to say no to her distressed face, I sit back down.

I watch over her as her eyes battle sleep, my hand finding its way to her hair as I stroke it in an attempt to relax her. "Juliet?" I whisper, my voice cutting through the dark, silent room. 

"Yeah?" She yawns, peering up at me.

"I promise I'll find and kill whoever did this to you."