Bejewelled

"You know all the restaurants are going to be closed by the time you're ready," Carter calls out from the hallway

"One minute!" I reply, adding some finishing touches to my makeup. 

I rush because I feel bad about making Carter wait literal hours for me to get ready because I had an everything shower, spent ages picking my outfit, straightened then curled my hair and now I'm experimenting with a new makeup look.

But I decide that it was all worth it though as I stare into the mirror, admiring the finished product. I haven't tried this hard on my appearance in like a year so I'm going all out. 

I feel much more lighter and happier than I did a mere week ago. I'm still not one hundred percent okay but it's like trying to take my life was the thing to show me that I didn't really want it to end.

I felt relieved when I woke up and the miserable feeling I'd been carrying around morphed into a different one, resentment.

I'd always just accepted that violence and hatred were a condition that comes along with having people live with you but now that I've spent more time with Carter I can see that it doesn't have to be that way.

He doesn't get angry with me when I make mistakes, he just accepts it and moves on which made me realise how easy it would have been for my dad to do instead of resorting to hurting me all these years.

Now I want him to meet some penance for all the damage he's done so I'm directing all my hate towards him instead of myself.

"Julietttt," Carter groans loudly from the hallway, still impatiently waiting for me. "I'm coming, I'm coming," I roll my eyes, ditching my beauty blender and heading towards the door.

Carter still hasn't told me where we're going so my outfit is simple, a short silk dress paired with some heels. 

"Ready?" Carter asks, his attention drawn to his phone as he leans against the kitchen counter. He's wearing an all black outfit per usual, his silver jewellery bringing out the grey colour of his eyes.

"Yeah," I reply, causing him to look in my direction. His eyes widen slightly as he stares at me, "Wow, you look.." He trails off.

"Amazing," I finish his sentence, doing a little twirl. "Yeah," He agrees, laughing at my theatrics.

He shoos me into the hallway, probably stressed about the fact that it's now quarter to nine and most restaurants close at ten around here.

I follow him out the building, trying to match his long strides until we eventually arrive in front of his car.

"So are you going to tell me where we're going now?" I question, staring out the window as we drive steadily down the road.

"Surprise." He replies bluntly, causing me to huff and slouch in my seat. It takes another ten minutes of Carter's increasingly more reckless driving until we eventually arrive at the restaurant.

It takes only seconds for me to realise where we are, the familiar street being the first indicator.

It's my favourite place, this popular Italian restaurant I frequent because my mum's best friend is the owner.

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion as we climb out the car, knowing I never told Carter that I loved this place. 

"How did you-" I mumble but I'm interrupted by an amused laugh. "I did my research," He laughs, opening the door for me. 

"No seriously how did you know?" I question, preparing to make fun of him if he seriously stalked me online to find out this information.

"I may have had help," He reveals as we wait in line to be seated. "Jasmine," I gasp after thinking for a few moments, her being the only plausible answer.

"Hm," He hums in acknowledgement before a waiter comes over and begins leading us to our table. 

We're sat down at a candle lit booth, the red leather paired with the red roses adorning the table add to the romantic vibe of the restaurant. 

I thank Carter for bringing me here, smiling brightly as I feel the first slither of happiness and normality that I've felt in a while. 

We talk over dinner as meal after meal is speedily brought out to us, curtsy of the family friend working in the kitchen.

"You really know how to put it back Kingston, I've never known anyone that can eat as much as me," Carter snorts, leaning back against the booth and admiring the plates of food we devoured.

"I could still go for desert," I decide, leaning back and patting my overstuffed belly. "Nah if I eat anything else I may literally explode," He says seriously, taking a gulp of his drink.

"We should probably go," I tell him worriedly, looking out at the empty restaurant. He agrees, knowing it's probably going to close soon if it hasn't already.

"Wait in the car, I'll pay," He instructs, watching me sway on my feet.

I tipsily head towards the door, the numerous glasses of wine we had effecting my balance as I stumble into the street. 

My eyes immediately clamp shut when the harsh bright flashes of cameras blind them.

"Juliet Kingston! Juliet!" Multiple voice shout behind the flashing lights. "Are the rumours about your father true?" One voice yells. 

"Have you been letting him get away with this violent behaviour all this time?" Another judgemental voice rings out.

I quickly become overwhelmed as a panic attack rises. I feel cornered, trapped as they bombard me with question after question.

My nails dig into my palms in a futile attempt to calm myself down as my breathing quickens and becomes more laboured.

The once clear view I had of the street is now a hazy mess, the lights from the street lamps and car headlights now blurring together as my eyes become clouded with tears. 

Harsh questions and accusations are being thrown in my direction as I try to compose myself. I feel my swaying body being pulled into a much more stable figure as a hand protectively snakes around my waist. 

"Get the fuck away from her."