Epilogue

Four years later

Four years later

"Come sit, eat food," Carter's mum says, her English not being the best. She pats the sofa next to her before motioning towards the sandwiches she's laid out on the coffee table. 

I plop down next to her, crossing my legs as she turns on this Polish reality show that we've been binge watching. I don't understand much of what they're saying but I can appreciate the fit men.

My life has significantly improved since my dad was charged with domestic abuse, resisting arrest, carrying an illegal firearm, kidnapping and attempt murder. 

After a stressful year of trials, physically therapy for my leg and the paranoia I was experiencing the whole ordeal finally ended.

He was found guilty for all five charges and was sentenced to thirty two years in one of the worst prisons in the United Kingdom.

It was a relief seeing him be locked away, not because I was seeking revenge but just because I could finally rest knowing he could no longer get to me.

His assets remain frozen but his entire state, including our house and three holiday homes summing up to seven million were handed over to me.

Which is why we're visiting Carter's family while our new home is being renovated. We both lived in our dorm while we finished uni, once we both got our degrees we bought a beautiful house along the river, far away from London.

I nibble on my sandwich, not wanting to fill up because me and Carter have plans for dinner later. 

Speaking of Carter, the front door of the cozy apartment opens as he saunters in. I immediately leap up, leaving his mum on the sofa as I go to greet him.

"How was it?" I question excitedly, wrapping my arms around him as I peck his lips. "Hmm," He hums, pausing for dramatic effect.

"I got it," He smirks, causing me to involuntarily let out a squeal as I crush him in a hug. Carter has obviously ditched his selling business, now focused on obtaining a job as a robotics engineer which is why he went to an interview today.

"Get ready we're going to celebrate," He orders, causing me to grin and dart off to our room. 

I sift through my wardrobe, trying to find the perfect outfit for tonight. I settle for a simply classy black dress with a matching pair of black heels.

I curl my hair, letting it cascade down my back as I apply my makeup perfectly.

"Goddamn," He marvels, staring at me as I meet him near the entrance way. "I know right," I reply cockily, turning so he can see the backless dress.

"You're so beautiful," He tells me, grabbing me by the waist and leaning down to kiss me. "None of that in my house," His mum scolds before our lips can touch.

I scoot away from him, just now noticing that she's still in the room. "Let's go then," He snorts, pulling me out of the apartment.

My dress sways in the wind, my heels clicking against the pavement as we walk to the car.

"Where are we going?" I ask after a few minutes of driving. "Surprise," He replies bluntly, not taking his eyes off the road.

I roll my eyes at his crypticness, turning up the volume on the radio and shamelessly screaming Roman's Revenge by Nicki at full volume.

"Awh you didn't!" I squeal, playfully slapping his arm. He climbs out of the car, opening the door for me before we both approach my favourite restaurant, the one we had our first date in. 

He insists that I go first so I open the door, the sight before me leaving me speechless. Instead of a busy restaurant as I was expecting, it's completely empty. 

It's dimly lit by the soft glow of the candles while quiet romantic music echos through the barren space, rose petals scattered along the floor.

"Carterrr," I grin, turning to him. "Did you seriously book it out?" I ask, not being able to believe he could arrange something so romantic.

"Um hm," He hums, smiling down at me. "Only the best for you," He rasps, grasping my face in his hands and kissing me deeply.

We eventually pull away from each other, Carter leading me to the exact table we sat at last time.  A server greets us, taking our orders and supplying us with endless amounts of wine.

My skins glows under the candle light, almost as if the happiness I feel is radiating off of me. I tipsily giggle at everything he says, looking at him with nothing but admiration in my eyes as we eat our food.

The playful atmosphere soon shifts into a serious one as he takes my hand in his. "Juliet I love you so much," He tells me, looking into my eyes.

"I love you too," I reply honestly, smiling at him.

"I honestly couldn't imagine my life without you," He says seriously, rubbing circles into my hand. "You make me a better person, someone worthy of spending the rest of your life with."

Whether it's his kind words or the alcohol that's making me emotional I don't know but I can feel the tears dripping from my eyes.

"I want to spend the rest of my life making you happy," He tells me, reaching into the pocket of his suit jacket.

"Juliet will you marry me?"

f