Realisation

"Hellooo," Dex drags out, waving his hand in front of my face in an attempt to grab my attention

"Hellooo," Dex drags out, waving his hand in front of my face in an attempt to grab my attention. "Yeah?" I clear my throat, finally snapping out of my haze.

He asks me what I want to order for dinner before returning his attention to his phone and leaving me with my thoughts.

It's been a couple hours since I dropped Juliet off and I've been unable to stop thinking about her. Her laugh, her lips, everything. 

No matter what I do my thoughts always seem to drift back to her. When I'm not around her it's like there's a dull void looming inside me, one that I'm desperate to fill.

I curse under my breath, running a stressed hand through my hair.

I'm a coward, I should have told her how I felt after I kissed her. She's probably home right now confused about what that kiss meant, what she means to me.

She's making me question everything I knew about myself, my principles, my ability to commit. I feel as if I could change for her and actually treat her right.

"What the fuck," Sy exclaims, straightening up from his slouched position. "What," Dex mumbles disinterestedly, still scrolling through his phone.

"They're talking about the Kingstons," He reveals, waving the remote in the direction of the tv. This draws everyones attention, causing us to lean in as Sy turns up the volume.

"Wait wasn't she here a few weeks ago," Dex recalls, furrowing his eyebrows. It takes me a few seconds to realise that Dex is right and that the person on screen is one of the Kingston's maids, the one that brought Juliet here after she was jumped.

"I think it's time to expose Marco Kingston for the man he is," She announces, a determined look spread across the face.

The room is plunged into a tense silence as we all listen in disbelief as she goes into detail about all the fucked up shit Marco has done, providing receipts and evidence for every single claim made.

"He's extremely abusive to colleagues, staff and even his daughter," She reveals, causing whispers and gasps to be heard from throughout the audience.

"What the fuck," Sy mumbles, still intently staring at the screen. 

My body is ridged and stiff as I sit perched on the very edge of the sofa, an intense feeling of anxiousness coursing through my body as my fists clench so hard they start turning white.

My heartbeat quickens and bounds in my chest as numerous pictures appear across the screen of various maids, cooks and cleaners all injured in some way. But I really couldn't prepare myself for the last pictures, the ones of her.

It feels as if all the air has been sucked out of the room as a picture of little Juliet, covered in bruises appears on screen followed by a much more recent picture. 

The room is still dead silent as the realisation hits us all that Juliet wasn't jumped by some random stranger, but suffered those horrific injures at the hands of her father.