038 ::: Never Spar

This is a super short chapter, but just trying to get it moving along. Not many chapters left now before the end. Once this book is finished, I will make an announcement and leave it up for a month before taking it down. 

Enjoy!

I was tired.

Once Xaler had taken and was far enough away, I was pulled to training with Cal. In order to make sure that the plan went off without a hitch, the rebels organized different times when they would be able to get Xaler away so I could sneak off without getting caught.

So I was currently fighting my favorite person ever, Gunnar, in hand-to-hand combat as both Cal and Bolkholm watched on. Gunnar and I hadn't really spoken since we met the first time, the most we did was throw glares at one another.

I didn't necessarily have a problem with him other than the fact that he thinks I am somehow on the wolves' side and let's not forget the fact that he knocked me out. Anyway, Gunnar doesn't trust me and it makes me worried about the future plan. We had to trust one another in order to work together and to be successful, but it was difficult to do when I am never around.

Maybe that is why we were paired up, or rather why he was tasked with the responsibility to train me how to fight. Or at least well enough that I can defend myself during the attack as much as possible. Hell, maybe he even signed up for the chance to kick my ass.

Gunnar was quick, so quick that sometimes I couldn't even tell where he was as he flitted around me. He swung his leg out and swiped it underneath my feet causing me to land on my back, staring in pain at the ceiling.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Cal go to move, but Bolkholm shot his arm out to stop him before whispering something in Cal's ear.

Whatever it was it somewhat settled Cal down, or at least enough to get him to sit back down and continue watching.

I pushed myself back up to my feet and readied myself for another attack from Gunnar. He advanced toward me and I threw a punch toward his face which effectively blocked, held, and then flipped me over once again onto my back on the mat.

"Fuck," I cursed in frustration.

"This is pointless," Gunnar mumbled, "We need more consistent practices Bolkholm, she won't get anywhere."

Gunnar had a good point. How was I supposed to improve when I had no time to really practice? I couldn't do so at home with Xaler watching almost my every single move.

"She's trying her best," Callum defended.

"He's got a point, Cal," I countered breathlessly. Gunnar held his hand out for me and helped me back up.

Callum opened his mouth to argue but Bolkholm spoke up before Cal could really get a chance, "We are all doing the best we can, but we can only create so many distractions and emergencies to get Xaler out of the area. Too many and it'll be suspicious."

Another good point.

"We meet and see if we can figure out a solution," Bolkholm continued, "But it's getting late and we have to get you back. Just remember the plan and remember to meet here anytime Xaler is pulled away for an emergency." He nodded at Callum before walking off to join where Gunnar had relocated to.

I finally looked to the windows of the gym we were in and sure enough, it was pitch black out. I hadn't realized so much time had passed since all I have doing since I got here was learning moves and sparring with Gunnar.

"What time is it?" I questioned as I twisted the cap off of my water bottle.

"4:30," Cal answered.

I sighed and wiped the sweat from the back of my neck with a towel that Callum handed to me. I was definitely going to be sore tomorrow after the many takedowns I endured with Gunnar.