1: The Start Of A Legend

(A/N): This story will contain some details concerning the lore of Tears of The Kingdom, so if you have not caught up with that yet, then it is recommended you do before delving into this story. This story starts before the events of Tears Of The Kingdom, and then goes into it. This story takes place in another universe.
—————————————————————————————————————————————————

As always, this fellow resident of Lurelin Village was up early to set up her store that sold all sorts of handmade knickknacks for the many tourists that would come visit the village. Ever since the end of The Great Calamity, there were many people from all over Hyrule who would flock to the seaside village in the pursuit of a tropical retreat from the prior grief they had to endure due to The Great Calamity. It was this fact that made (Y/n) cross her fingers in the hopes that she would be able to see Princess Zelda pay a visit to Lurelin one day.

For some peculiar reason, (Y/n) never appeared to have the best of luck. The times where the valiant hero of Hyrule, Link, would pay the village a visit, (Y/n) had to be out of town to get some supplies or make a delivery. Tough times called for more flexibility, so for a while, she would have to travel to disperse her wares to more people, since she did have to make a living. It wasn't the funnest of times, what with having to occasionally run away or fight with a few monsters that were near the paths. She couldn't be happier that now she could just stay in one spot, safe and living comfortably in her village.

As lovely as life was in Lurelin Village, there were a few things that would occasionally float into (Y/n)'s mind, things that would bother her.

For one, she was the only one in the village who couldn't swim. The best of swimmers tried to teach her, but she still couldn't get a hang of it. Instead of floating, (Y/n) would sink like a rock. It was quite embarrassing to be living in a seaside village with the inability to swim, so after a few years of embarrassment, she stopped trying altogether.

Secondly, she was a big time romantic who still had yet to strike it rich in love. She knew of the stories surrounding the nearby Tuft Mountain, and had been there plenty of times, but yet, she still never met a man up there. She didn't want to believe that she was also cursed in love. She just hadn't found the one yet.

Being lost in her woes momentarily, (Y/n) found herself squeak in alert when she heard a voice address her, snapping her out of it.

"Er, excuse me, I am interested in that mask you have for sale." A man addressed her, one who looked quite suspicious on sight. Dressed in tropical garb, with some sunglasses resting on his forehead, this clear tourist had the widest smile (Y/n) had ever seen on a person. He had his hands clasped together, and had on his back a large backpack with many masks attached to them. Seems she had a mask collector on her hands.

Putting on a smile, (Y/n) addressed him. "Right, what mask has caught your eye?" (Y/n) asked, as the man pointed to a mask that was made in a certain style that was passed down through (Y/n)'s family. To her knowledge, only she could make a mask of this style.

"That one. I have never seen a mask quite like it before, and I know of a great many masks." He chuckled, as (Y/n) went to retrieve the mask for him with a soft giggle. "I'd hope so, since it was my family who had coined this particular design throughout the generations. I was told that the design first came from my ancestor, and then the tradition of making things such as this mask in this particular style began." She explained to him, handing him the mask as he went to observe the mask with great interest.

"I'll say. The craftsmanship speaks for itself with this beautiful mask. I can sense a rich history here, and for some reason... a hidden sadness..." He mumbled as he continued to inspect the mask, which made (Y/n) laugh again, though this one was a more awkward laugh. So he was one of those tourists, the one with a few screws loose.