20: The Straw That Snapped

(Y/n) had just finished packing away all her belongings when Kodah and Kayden were welcoming her back to the Domain. They of course had a few questions to ask her, what with her just getting back from being on another important journey with Sidon.

"Had a fun trip with the prince, (Y/n)?" Kayden asked her with a grin.

"What was it like to have to deal with those horrifying Ocean Zora?" Kodah questioned her, while (Y/n) was sitting on one of the beds in the Inn. "It was... definitely an enlightening trip. Unfortunately, Sidon couldn't reason with them, so we are still at a stalemate." (Y/n) explained to them, as the two began to frown. That did not sound good at all.

"I am sorry to hear that, dear... But what do you mean by your trip being enlightening?" Kodah asked, going to go sit next to her, as (Y/n) sighed. She might as well confide in them about what had happened at the Lover's Pond.

"Well, maybe you two were... right. About me and Sidon. Something happened on our trip, and we... confessed our feelings to one another. He loves me, and I love him." (Y/n) murmured in a soft voice, feeling her cheeks getting more heated with each word she uttered.

Kodah and Kayden quickly looked at each other with a gasp, before they were then cheering with gleeful laughter. "Ha ha, I knew it!" Kodah giggled, making (Y/n) even more flustered by their reaction.

"B-But I didn't think he would actually like me in that way! Now, he might just try and convince the council into accepting the idea of him being engaged to me! From what I have heard about them, I know they wouldn't allow it, and it worries me a lot. I don't want Sidon to get into any trouble, especially since the Ocean Zora meeting went badly. Him doing that might just make things worse for him." (Y/n) started to ramble on, going to nervously fiddle with her secret stone.

"Engaged?! He really is certain of his love for you if he wants to do that! I am not sure how it is where you are from, but an engagement here is a very serious deal, especially for the royal family. To be engaged to someone is to swear to live the rest of your life together with them, forever! That you will accept no other!" Kayden explained to (Y/n) in awe.

"It seems he is following in his dear sister's footsteps..." Kodah hummed to herself, which made (Y/n) look up at her. "What do you mean?"

(Y/n) was aware that Mipha had feelings for Link, but due to fate, that never came to pass.

"There are many traditions that we Zora follow, especially the royal family. One of these traditions includes the princess making a special garment, the Zora Armor, for the man she plans to be married to. Our late princess, Mipha, had crafted such an armor for Link. That was how serious her affection was for him, but of course, it sadly never came to be. Such an act however had made the council furious when they first found out about it. Mipha crafting him that Zora Armor was her basically telling them that she would only wish to be wedded to Link, and that she would refuse any other suitor. It is an act that is not taken lightly, and for Mipha of all people to do such a thing... It still remains quite a shock." Kodah told (Y/n), who was digesting this information.

These matters were taken that seriously... But wasn't it way too soon to be talking about engagement?

"I know what you're thinking, (Y/n), it's all over your face. Perhaps the reason Sidon is in such a hurry to marry you is because of another tradition of ours... If a royal Zora has not found someone to be wedded to by a certain age, then someone is picked out for them. Seldomly does a royal marry for love, it is usually just for the sake of creating a union that benefits the Domain, and for ensuring future heirs to the throne." Kayden explained, this tidbit of information making (Y/n)'s heart drop.

Sidon... Having to marry another? Ensuring future heirs?... Now there were even more problems to worry about. (Y/n) started to feel sick, and it showed in the way her face began to twist in concern.