CHAPTER -14

The preparation for the wedding was in  full swing. The whole palace was decorated with various flowers, lights and curtains. Scent of flowers and incense filled the air. Different kind of dishes were being cooked. Infact the whole city was celebrating the upcoming wedding of their prince. It was like a blessing after the misfortune the people had suffered after the attack.

Where there was joy outside the palace. The people inside the palace were filled with different doubts and inhibitions.

All the guest had arrived. The royal families of different lands were welcomed.

Devkirti was in the royal garden. She needed some fresh air to calm her mind when Abhiranjan saw her. He approached towards her and clear his throat. Kirti turned around and was a little startled to see him.

"Prince Ranj what are you doing here?" Kirti questioned.

Ranj looked at her. Guilt swirling in his eyes," I wanted to apologise for everything that had happened. You had lost many things but i truly admire you for your courage."

Kirti  sighed and said," Whatever had happened we had no control over it. Don't fret over it. You don't have to feel guilty for something you hadn't done willingly. It just happened. Sometimes we have to take some decision because circumstances demand it. It may be painful for us but it was for greater good. So, don't held yourself responsible."

Abhiranjan smiled and thanked Kirti for understanding. They both part their ways after sometime.

          *****************************

The women were gathered for Haldi Vidhi( a ritual where turmeric paste is applied on the bride) and Mangal snan( the ritual of holy bath).

Sanghamitra and Devkirti were adorned in yellow dresses and floral ornaments.
Both of them looked very beautiful. Urvashi and Other ladies were sitting around them. Some of them were laughing and singing. Some others were dancing. The ambience of the place was very joyous. However,both the bride were far from being happy.

Mitra was thinking how she had come to attend her best friend wedding and how she was getting married now. She had dreamt of her marriage with Aryajit. But now everything changed. She tried to talk to Aryajit. She went to meet him when his mother Queen Baidehi said that he left for his land. He didn't want to stay there to witness her wedding with someone else. It saddened Mitra because she couldn't get to apologise to him for everything. She didn't even have the courage to talk to Kirti but she decided that she had to somehow talk to her best friend. She was in her thoughts when Maharani Sulekha appeared before her. She scooted down and apply some Haldi on her. Mitra couldn't control her tears.

She said in a hoarse voice," Sulekha Ma, i am so sorry. Because of me Kirti had to face all these."

Maharani Sulekha pat her head and smiled," Dear no one can defy destiny. Don't worry too much. It was not your fault. It was meant to happen this way. Just think about your coming future. Whatever you had done is a great deed. Your mother would be so proud of you dear. I am proud of you as well and wish that your life becomes full with happiness"

Mitra cried and hugged Maharani Sulekha. She felt like something had lift off her chest after listening to her.

Sulekha then applied Haldi to Devkirti and said," My dear. I am a  proud mother today. I am proud of the fact that i gave birth to you. I know how hard it is for you to accept everything and to think of others before yourself. Even after listening to the conditioms put forwarded by your future husband you choose to be selfless. You have grown up so beautifully my daughter. I wish you all the happiness."

Devkirti smiled with tears in her eyes. Sulekha kissed her forehead.And said," Just be strong and never forget your responsibility" Devkirti nodded her head in return.

After Haldi vidhi, the bride's were taken for Mangal Snan. They were bathe with milk, sandal wood paste and various floral essence oil. After the bath they were taken for Shringar.

All the royal ladies were busy getting ready. The both bride were sitting before the mirror. The maids were doing their hair.

One of the princess named Sugandha said," It is so astonising right? We were coming here for Devkirti's marriage but now we got to attend Sanghamitra's wedding as well."

Another one said sarcastically," We have always see both Kirti and Mitra gave up things for each other. Who knew that Kirti had to gave up her own fiancee for Mitra.

It hurt both Kirti and Mitra after listening to her. Urvashi asked the girl to stop saying things like that.

One of them again asked," Kirti, how will you live with that husband of yours. Didn't he call himself a Bairagi? Do you know where he lives? What if you had to live in a forest. Moreover he looks scary not like Price Abhiranjan who is handsome and polite. I heard that he is a half Kashavarga.What if he hurt you."

Honestly Devkirti had thought about that possibility. But nothing could be done now. She had to face everything. She had to be strong. She said, " I don't know what future hold but i believe in myself that i can handle any situation. I had left everything in the hand of Mother Goddess. Whatever happens i will accept it."

Urvashi smiled at her and said," This is the Kirti i know. Brave and positive."

Devkirti smiled at her.

Both Kirti and Mitra were dressed in their wedding attire. The red colour enhanced their beauty to a different level. Different jewelleries gave them a regal look. Flowers in their bun were emitting beautiful fragrance. They look like the epitome of beauty and grace.

Queen Sulekha came and looked at both of the girls. She had tears in her eyes.

"My dears, i know the circumstances that leads you both to this point. But remember that nothing happen without any reason. Take it as a wish of Mother Goddess. You both will be married soon. As an advice i can only say that, whatever happens in the future never forget your principles and responsibilities as a woman. A woman is so strong that she can change everything with sheer determination. She has the power to create. So, my dears create you own world. Be strong and be compassionate. My blessings will be with you all the time."Maharani Sulekha said to both of them.," You both will soon be called for the mandap( place where wedding is held)." Both the girls nodded. Sulekha looked at both of them one more time and left.

After she left both the girl tried to gather their strength. Maharani Sulekha's words had given them some sort of strength.

They both looked at each other. There were many things to say but words didn't come out of their mouth. After sometime,
Kirti said, " Remember when we were children we had decided that we would get married together" Upon hearing Kirti, Mitra smiled. They both remembered those days.

How beautiful their friendship was, two little girls playing with toys, concocting stories, sharing laughters and the thrill of doing everything together.

When Kirt said used to say," How beautiful it would be if we get married together. We have always play together, sleep together,eat together, laugh together and eat together. How about we do everything together." The lustre in her eyes spoke the volume of her enthusiasm and genuine wish.

Mitra would give her a smile and would say," Whatever you say ,my lady" And they both would laugh.

Today twelve years later they both were getting married together.  But their eyes were ashamed to meet each other.  They  lost all the shine and happiness Guilt,pain and shame replaced them.

Mitra said," I am sorry i betrayed you even if i can't imagine and had no intention of doing it to you".

Kirti,smiled although it didn't reached her eyes, " It is a thread of fate. I have accepted and you should as well. I know its hard but i wish you all the happiness and luck in the world."

They both looked at each other for the last time and smiled. But smile had lost its essence of innocence and joy.

But in the midst of hopelessness there was still a hope that everything will just turn out perfectly fine with patience and faith.

         ****************************