𝟎𝟏 || 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐈𝐆𝐔𝐄

HERE - ALESSIA CARA
"i ask myself, what am i doing here?"

______

_______

_______

Sometimes when things get worse, I promise myself that they'll get better; which they do— most of the time. I always thought that it was life's way at rewarding me for always remaining a genuinely good person, but over time, I learned that it was just luck. Because when things get better, they always end up so, so much worse.

The loud music of the club flooded my ears the second that we stepped in. "Why are we here again?" I asked Mae, who was already making her way over to the bar while guiding me by the hand. We were like a human chain; Ryla guiding us all towards the bar, Mae keeping up with her, and me trailing behind, all holding hands. Her blonde hair whipped around as she turned back around to look at me.

"Huh?" She said cluelessly, she probably just didn't hear me over the blaring music. "Why are we here?" I repeated, louder this time. My steps could barely keep up with Ryla's, who was moving briskly through the crowd. When I didn't get an answer, I assumed she didn't hear me again.

Suddenly, all of our steps came to a halt once we reached the bar. The three of us took a seat on the cold leather barstools, right in front of the bartender. The man looked stressed. I wouldn't blame him, the place was packed; there was barely even space to walk. Once he was finished making a drink for the middle aged man beside me, he turned his attention to us.

Mae ordered her own drink excitedly, her tone was sweet and chirpy. The bartender nodded, then turned his gaze towards me. I was taken aback for a second. "Oh, I'm okay." I stumbled over my own words as I denied a drink. I had no interest in drinking, and when I did drink, it was a rare occurrence.

"Oh my god, Vi. One drink won't hurt you." Ryla commented playfully as she turned to look at me. I shrugged with a smile. "Whatever, someone will have to watch over you while you get drunk." I said as I nudged Mae with my shoulder. She didn't exactly have the highest tolerance for alcohol, and tended to get a little out of control when she got drunk. Last time she had too much to drink, she ended up telling her ex she was pregnant.

"Hey! I'm not that bad." She giggled guiltily, adjusting the strap of her blue corset that had fallen off of her shoulder. The colour complimented her eyes well in the lights of the club. I felt somewhat underdressed compared to her and Ryla.

I was wearing a dark red satin mini dress that went to about mid thigh, and a layering of gold necklaces and rings. Ryla on the other hand, was wearing a rhinestoned halter top, that with one wrong move would flash the whole room.

It wasn't even about what I was wearing, but Ryla's beaming confidence added a special charm to whatever she wore. I had been envious over her confidence since I met her. We were around fifteen, both at one of our father's social events and bored out of our minds. She didn't know me, but she took me by the hand and together we snuck out to a party. She seemed to know exactly who she was already, and I wanted that, I still did.