𝟐𝟐 || 𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐎𝐗𝐈𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐃

WISH YOU WERE SOBER - CONAN GRAY
"real sweet, but i wish you were sober."

_______

_______

"Don't worry about me," my sister reassured with a half-smile as she adjusted herself in her seat. She'd always had a way of calming my nerves with that smile. "It'll only be a month."

"A month, Lena," I emphasized, my fingers idly tapping on the leather armrest of the couch, my eyes never leaving her face.

"This is how it works," she replied. "You asked me to get to the Russians, this is how I do that."

After the Russians had fled back to Russia, I needed to know why. Lena was the only person that I could think of who might be able to get to one of the Russian's only allies. I told her that if she could provide any ideas as to how she could pursue them, then she had my full permission to do whatever needed to be done. Her idea was to be purposefully kidnapped.

How does she come up with these things?

I pinched the bridge of my nose and momentarily closed my eyes. The thought of Lena being gone for a month with little to no communication made me sick. I had no idea if she'd be in New York, L.A, maybe Argentina, or even fucking outer space. "You're smart, kid. But this? This idea? Not your brightest." I tilted my head.

"I'm not a kid anymore, Dominic. I can handle myself better than anyone else, and you know it."

She was right. I knew that she could handle whatever was thrown at her, but it didn't mean that I wanted her to. She didn't deserve this— this life. She was molded into it, not born for it. She resembled her mother; kind and soft, the complete opposite of my father.

Me, on the other hand, I was a carbon copy of him, from the way that I looked to my darkest and most ruthless actions. It seemed as if the only reason I was alive was to follow in his footsteps. I was born for it.

But these were our lives, and it was inevitable. "Yeah, I know," I responded with a hint of resignation, my gaze fixed on the ceiling.

Lena sunk back into the plush leather couch, her combat boots tapping softly against the hardwood beneath her. Her eyes remained fixed on the sprawling deck beyond the floor-length windows, as if lost in thought.

Then her deep blue eyes sparked, and she perked up to face me."Hey, where's that girl of yours?" She hit my arm playfully.

"Violet?" I asked, my tone shifting slightly, the mention of her always managing to stir something inside me. Fuck my life.