𝟒𝟎 || 𝐒𝐄𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐂𝐘

DREAM, IVORY - DREAM, IVORY
"can't say that i knew."

_______

_______

Guilt comes in waves, its tide unpredictably sweeping over the soul, leaving an indelible mark on the shores of our abilities to think rationally— logically, even. And what was I without that? For someone accustomed to navigating the world through the structured lens of reason, emotion leaked through me every once in a while, more often now than ever; it's cause clearly evident.

The logicality of this situation should've been an easy decision to make, a rational choice that I'd made countless times in the past, but it wasn't; not for me. Because in all honesty, I didn't know what the hell I was doing— and I hadn't for months.

I should've told Violet the second I found out what might be in that package that the Russians ran off with the night at the warehouse. I should've explained why I abruptly left for Italy. I should've informed her that I was expecting the Russians earlier this morning, given my heightened suspicions about their appearance. Most importantly, I should've told her the truth about just how close I was to finding either the solution, or the cause of our problems.

The light and arcane object felt unsettling in between my fingers. Its weight, though seemingly innocuous, held the possibility of changing perspectives—a USB that the Russians had just barely gotten their hands on. The cold metal against my skin was deliberate with it's encrypted information concealed within the programming.

As I turned the USB over in my hands, its smooth surface showed no clues about the secrets it carried. It looked like such a simple thing; a small, silver piece— yet was so desirable that it was the reason for the brutal deaths of several.

This was when the guilt washed over.

Considering the impact on Violet, shouldn't I be sharing this information with her as well? Or was it too much of a risk? Revealing its contents to her meant unraveling a long line of secrets, potentially jeopardizing her even further than before. And was that worth it? To gamble her safety for my peace of mind?

Absolutely not.

Just like guilt, secrets can slowly erode over time, worn away by the reckless tides of curiosity and the winds of circumstance until they resemble only echoes of their once guarded existence. So would it really be such an unforgivable mistake to let this secret between us linger a little while longer?

After all, I kept worse.

The only question that remained was whether if I should find out what was on the USB now, or if I should set it aside, putting the fatality on hold. I genuinely had no idea what sights the device might bring, because the possibilities were absolutely endless. Although I had my own suspicions about it's information, everything lately had seemed unpredictable, and I couldn't corner myself into just one possibility.