𝟐𝟗 || 𝐁𝐋𝐔𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆

_______

_______

Alec tossed the file onto the side table of the lounge with a thud. The file wasn't just thick; it was an imposing stack of information, with reports, high-resolution images, classified documents, and a chaotic collection of loose sheets of paper.

"What am I looking at?"

He pulled a report from the stack, loosely dragging it along the table for my view. It looked to be like some sort of map, with a red circle around the left hand corner. "The location for an illegal shipment," he replied, heading over to the bar for a drink.

"Sent from where?" I inquired, my eyes scanning the pages.

"Moscow. The shipment's for tonight, 11:30PM," he responded, setting down both a half full bottle and a brand new bottle of tequila next to the file.

Fucking Russians.

I grit my teeth while he slid the bottle of whiskey towards me. My fingers idly traced it's label before unscrewing the top, pouring the amber liquid into the glass in front of me. "I'll send some men."

"Saving your night for someone special?" He nudged, toying with me."Your men are going to start suspecting things."

"There's nothing to suspect," I insisted, the words edged with defensiveness. My men has no reason to suspect anything anyways. The select few who had been in my home and who had seen her were ordered, by me, to never speak to her, never look at her, and I'll be damned if they ever even tried to touch her.

None of them had even seen Violet and I interact, I made sure of that. I didn't know a single soul of them personally, and if their loyalty laid with the Italian Mafia, and that only, then there would certainly be men who still served Antonio.

"You're telling me that the reason you aren't inspecting this yourself isn't because of that woman living upstairs?"

My hands gripped around my glass tightly, and I was convinced that it might shatter in my hands. "I'm telling you that I can separate personal matters from work matters. Investigating a hazy warehouse, that could very likely be an ambush, isn't at the top of my priorities."

His question, however, struck a nerve. "And she is?" He inquired with a knowing, arched eyebrow.

Violet was the most unexpected presence to come into my life, stirring emotions I'd carefully compartmentalized for years. That wasn't any new knowledge. Yet, as I weighed her against the dangerous world I navigated, the lines between personal and 'professional' blurred in a way I couldn't ignore.