1 • Sparks Fly

{A/N} I am v new to this so hope you enjoy!!

┈┈୨♡୧┈┈

"Does she do anything besides sit on the sidelines?"

I was never enough. My healing isn't enough. I could never meet my parents expectations, and other heroes find ways to look down on me. To them, healing hurt civilians isn't comparable to battling villains and 'saving the day'. Meanwhile I'm also saving lives... but that's overlooked by the brave, powerful heroes in action.

I used to find such joy in helping others. But I get more and more apathetic each day, growing unsatisfied with the life I lead. Flashy heroes get all the attention - from social media to the news. They monopolize screen time, crowds often gathering in public spaces to watch an epic battle unfold. They awe and cheer at the power displayed on the battlefield.

Power. Hero society sends a clear message - a person's worth is based on their power. It's less powerful to stay back and focus on rescue work. Well I reject that. It's bullshit. So what, the only Quirks that matter are the flashy superpowers? Recovery is touted as a main responsibility for heroes, but the ones who stay behind or can't handle combat are ostracized. It happened slowly in the field, and maybe even unintentionally. Society's discriminatory structure shaped the institutions of power - Pro Heroes and the Public Safety Commission.

During my healing work I get lost in overthinking. Each day I spend in the field becomes more dense and disconnected. I have been so in my head lately that its clouded my perception and I hadn't realized I've been under a watchful eye. For better or for worse, change was about to make its way into my life.

~

For a few weeks now, Dabi has been working solo recruiting for the League. His efforts just became a scorch fest of him purging the low level criminals in the streets. Bored and unsatisfied in the lack of options, he wandered the nights searching for any shred of potential, or entertainment. This is when he first saw Y/N. She was in the middle of a blocked off road with a group of heroes. Her {COLOR} costume caught his eye, but she kept his gaze with the longing look on her face. She wore a smile but he could see something lacking in her eyes. A well known hero ordered her away as he took to the skies in battle with the attacker. Dabi watched as Y/N walked over to heal those nearby with minor injuries. Crowds trampled past her cheering for the battling hero, almost running after him.

"So she's a healer... Could be useful."

Y/N smiles and reassures the people around her, but Dabi sees past this facade.

"She's a hero but it doesn't look like she likes it. How curious.."

His interest finally piqued, he spends the next week secretly monitoring her whereabouts and behaviors. During this time he's noticed she spends most of her time alone, besides when she's working. The second she's out of her costume, her smile fades and she looks... bored. Dabi chuckles to himself.

"Seems we have something in common."

On one particular warm summer night, Dabi sulks around scouring the underground criminal network. Tonight he isn't working. He wants a distraction, or to fan his flames and cause some destruction. Shigaraki really pissed him off today, ordering him around like an animal. But he realizes he must swallow his resentment and endure - after all the League will provide him an opportunity to retaliate against his past.

Exiting a corridor and passing through an adjacent alleyway, Dabi sees something {COLOR} in the corner of his eye. It's her. He smirked. Finally some entertainment.

༶•┈┈୨♡୧┈┈•༶

It's such a beautiful night but my mind is elsewhere. It was a fucking long day of overusing my Quirk. My body felt so exhausted that I hadn't even changed out of costume before my walk home. I didn't have the energy to put on a mask and socialize with the other heroes I worked with in the agency's locker room. Feeling wistful, lugging my backpack, I decided to take the long way home and sulk under the glow of the full moon.

I don't know how much longer I can take living like this. But what else would I even do? I'm so unsatisfied, feeling stuck - just another cog in the machine. Would a change in career really do anything? Or would it just render me a cog in a different, equally stifling machine. And what would people say? If I don't use my Quirk as a hero. With the laws and constraints on Quirk use in public, the only way to use my healing for good is to be a hero. There'd be no other way for me to heal on my own; working independently in my own lifestyle. People would judge me for 'hanging up the cape' and 'wasting my Quirk'. My worth yet again tied to the strength and usefulness of my healing. It frustrates me.

My thoughts are interrupted when an arm reaches out from an alleyway and pulls me into the shadows. My heart is racing. Great, right as I consider retiring from being a hero, it gets me targeted. I can only assume this is a vengeful criminal wanting to cause a hero harm. I should've just fucking changed.

I can't see a single thing when I feel my back slam against a brick wall behind me. My eyes quickly adjust to the darkness and I'm met with beautiful cool blue eyes... who is this? It takes a second for me to notice his scarred appearance and staples holding his skin together. My intrigue turns back into fear.

"Hi there, hero."

"What do you want from me?" I cry, thrashing my body against his grip. He has me pressed so tightly to this wall and his arm is strong across my neck, one hand pinning my other arm back by my wrist.

He laughs. "Hey now settle down. You don't want to get burned, do ya?"

He towers over me, releasing my wrist to raise his hand, brandishing blue flames...

What the fuck is this? I use my freed hands, and all my strength, to grab his arms and push him away

What the fuck is this? I use my freed hands, and all my strength, to grab his arms and push him away. He picked the wrong day to mess with me. I'm annoyed and so absolutely over everything.

His smirk fades but he holds his stare. It's intimidating, I've never been looked at like this before. I'm scared but... I'm not fearing for my life? I don't sense murderous intent from his gaze so... what are his motives?

His movements are quick, because before I know it he's duct taping my mouth shut and tying rope around my wrists. My fear keeps returning to me in waves, anxiety tinged with curiosity and intrigue. I'm not dumb enough to let my guard down and trust someone who is clearly trying to kidnap me, but I can't ignore the new sensations in my body.

I'm thrashing my body and screaming for help but the duct tape muffles my cries. It's only moments before the mysterious man blindfolds me and slings me over his shoulder, as if I weigh no more than a feather. I kick and jab my knees against his stomach - a futile attempt at immobilizing him.

"Stop kicking like a child or I'll make this hurt."

The arm holding me to his shoulder warms up so hot it scorches through my clothes and makes contact with my skin. It hurt but he was just a hair away from truly burning me. This was him barely using his Quirk... now fearing for my life I reluctantly stop my commotion as he carries me further into the shadows.