2 • Drawn and Ordered

I hate not being able to see, and I have no idea what this guy's intentions are. At first I thought he just wanted to talk until he expertly tied me up and plucked me right off the street. My thoughts race as I lie there limp on his shoulder. Was this planned? It must have been... who walks around carrying rope and duct tape. And where is he taking me? Why not just kill me then and there?

The walk is long, minutes feel like hours, yet I continue to feel his grip on my waist grow tighter. I hear a door open and shuffling noises then I'm tossed on what feels like a couch. I've given up fighting at this point. I have no combat skills, just a healing hand so I'm at a clear disadvantage. My blindfold is removed and I look around to see we're in an empty bar. It looks unoccupied, so my backpack stands out on the empty floor where he stands. Why didn't he just leave that behind? Did he want to get rid of any evidence of a missing person?

I slouch back into the couch with my arms in my lap and my brows furrowed, looking my eyes up at him looming over me.

"Don't look at me like that or else I might just keep you tied up, doll

"Don't look at me like that or else I might just keep you tied up, doll."

Huh? What is this guy's deal... saying shit like that while staring down at me with such intimidation. I wish he would just get to the point.

"Wondering why I brought you here, hero? I'm sure you've heard of the League of Villains. I'm the mysterious blue flame user, Dabi."

My eyes widen. Oh fuck. I might be in some serious trouble right now. The League has been making a rise, organizing small time criminals and empowering a voice of villainy. They've been popping up left and right - it's all the heroes can talk about these days. But what could they possibly want with me?

"See I've been watching you, ya know. You might help people but I see the look in your eyes. You're not like all those other false heroes."

He pulls a chair over and straddles it, facing close to me. My breath hitches in my throat.

"I think you might be interested in what the
League has to offer you,"

Slowly he peels back the tape over my mouth. Oh. Turns out he does just want to talk.

"I dont wanna hurtchya, at least not now"

Dabi says with a devilish grin on his face.

"So be a good little hero and tell me,
what's got you down?"

Huh??? Seriously what is up with this guy. I cannot read him at all. And he's been watching me?? Have I been that in my head that I got myself kidnapped...

Truth be told, I became a hero because everyone in my life saw it that way. Once my healing Quirk manifested, it was like my path was decided for me. As a young girl my parents sent me off to a controversial training facility without a second thought. I went through harrowing abusive training, losing a lot of the normalcy in life I desired, just to strengthen my ability to heal and be signed off to a powerful agency.

All I wanted was to choose my own path and help others following my own ethics, not at the command of some hierarchal group. But how could I let my healing ability go to waste? I made the most of it at first. I found some friends in other heroes and did feel fulfilled saving lives in my community. It wasn't until I worked with Pro Hero Lady Nagant that I started to open my eyes to the harsh reality. Our partnership was brief until her arrest, but her impact on me would be long lasting. Knowing Lady tainted the lens in which I view hero work. I care so deeply about helping others, but I can no longer ignore corruption and greed all around me.

The hidden dark actions and manipulation that occur at the hand of the Public Safety Commission. These select few people are the ones who police the natural order and morals of the world, giving them a power they refuse to admit. They use this power to pick and choose who they label good and bad, while they pull strings playing heroes like puppets doing dirty work under the ruse of supporting the "greater good". They say villains will do anything to justify their cause but so will they, covering up murders in the name of empty justice.

A few more years of working in the field and I came to notice the shadows that lurk within the hero profession too. I see villains face abuse, people who were just displaced or misunderstood. My empathetic heart able to look past petty criminals and recognize the humanity in each of them, something that's openly frowned upon in my line of work. After Lady's arrest, anytime I first voiced concerns of mistreatment and ethics I faced harsh scrutiny. Fearing her same fate, I shut my mouth and fell into a boring life of complacency.

"Use your words doll, or I'll have to use my flames"

Dabi's growing impatient with my silence. I should be resistant to his inquiry... but I feel so drawn to sharing the truth. I want to talk to him. Honestly I need to talk to someone about the way I feel. Half ass considering change while still being miserably complacent hasn't been doing me any good.

"Alright. I'll tell you but only because I want to," I reluctantly respond.

"My distaste with my profession has nothing to do with you or the League. I'm just so... frustrated. I feel like a useless tool compared to these popular heroes that are hailed and praised. Most of the times those heroes are the ones who are most problematic... judging others in the field, spewing hateful rhetoric and pain towards people who never asked for a life of petty crime. They have no sympathy... almost no humanity. It's ugly. I can't help but feel ugly too, being a part of the system. After all I guess silence sides with the oppressor."

Dabi looks taken aback by my sudden opening up. I've been holding all these thoughts in my head that once I opened my mouth I couldn't stop them from pouring out.

"So you've put thought into this. Not sounding
very 'hero-like' are we?"

I glare at him.

"Don't worry I'm not here to judge. If anything I think you'll learn that the League can offer you this
lifestyle you seek. Comrades, if you will,
who share your distaste for hero society."

As much as I am sick of my job, sick of myself, I have a hard time considering myself switching sides. Even after all I've said about labeling people good and bad, I can't shake my fear of uncertainty. Would changing my lifestyle like this really be better for me? At this point.. I truly don't know.

"Wouldn't you like to live a life you chose for yourself?
Your words, doll, I'm just here to offer an alternative. Won't you join our cause and shake up the system?"

Dabi's stare seems to pierce right through me. I won't lie, it's intimidating. He may be acting like he's helping me but I can't forget how easily he threatened me with his flames.

Plus, despite my beliefs, I've made a life for myself in hero society. Even though I yearn for something new... I don't really know what that something is. It scares me to flip my entire world upside down. I feel shame in these emotions: knowing I'm a cog in the machine, turning a blind eye to injustice, sacrificing my agency. My gut and heart are drawn to his words. I think I might even agree with the League's sentiment but... what would they make me do? I'm not sure I could ever take a life. Although what will it take for me to finally find solace; a life I don't regret?At what cost can I justify achieving that goal? I've always been afraid of change despite being oh so desperate for it.

Dabi senses my hesitation.

"Seems like words don't work on you do they, hero? Good thing I know another way to change your mind."

Standing up, he lifts my chin up towards him with his fingers. There's softness in this act, but I'd soon find that was very misleading.