6 • Apathy

We get back to the bar late that night. Not a word between us since we left the warehouse.

My head is spinning. My body quite literally feeling one hundred different emotions. Yet... I feel more alive than ever. For the first time I'm feeling excitement, arousal, hope.... it taints the reality of the fear and danger I face in my future as a villain.

Using my Quirk combined with today's events I feel so drained. I lean against the bar and stare at the floor, not knowing what to make of the things I feel. 

Dabi walks over to me and breaks the silence. He inches closer and presses my back against the bar, whispering in my ear.

"You got your hands dirty today, 'hero'. How does that feel?"

"I don't know. It makes me feel... a lot. But it doesn't necessarily feel bad. I don't know what to make of myself right now."

I want to say there's concern behind Dabi's intimidating stare. But after all the confliction today I feel so uncertain.

"Your smile told me a different story."

I stare at him, puzzled.

"Let's talk about your face earlier."

"My face?"

"Healing that guy. Both of 'em. The way you smiled that day I first saw you working... it was the same as your smile tonight. You're just as messed up as we are, Y/N."

I blush at the tone of his voice, that warm embarrassment creeping up on me. Looking back down at the floor I realize. My apathy... there's more to it than boredom with my career. But I don't want to let myself overthink right now. I've done enough thinking for the whole damn week.

"I-I felt... alive, today."

This makes Dabi really smile, different than all the other smirks I've seen thus far.

"I can give you that and more. The League will free you from the shackles of hero society, but I'll be the one to fulfill your needs, to make you feel truly alive."

Hearing his words is like erasing a whiteboard in my mind. The slate clean as if I don't have a care in the world. He does something to me, makes me feel what I've been chasing after all these years.

"I feel same as you, doll. Society isn't cut out for people like us. You suffer and bear the burdens but they still feed you shit. Meanwhile those at the top flourish and heroes remain unscathed and wealthier than ever.

I'll burn this society to the ground. It's the only way to restart and flip the rules around. I want you by my side as I spread my flames and paint Japan blue. That pretty face all for me. I'll make this world a place we can live freely according to our own rules"

I feel myself relax between his arms, the weight of his body leaning on me. I don't hate the things he's saying...

"Do you like how that sounds, Princess"

I shiver at his breath in my ear. Staring my eyes up at him, the tips of my brows furrowed up and the ends relaxed, almost pleading for something I can't put to words. I nod my head.

"Good girl. You've listened so well, but I haven't forgotten your disobedience earlier. Coming down when I told you to stay in my room."

His energy shifts and his eyes darken.

"As if that wasn't it, you were bold enough to
run that pretty mouth of yours.
Seems like you need to be disciplined".