Chapter 31 | Restraint

The cameras show the two commentators in their booth. “The top of the first years will be decided with this one match!” The blond proclaims. The stage is once again lit up with fire. The two boys standing on either side of the field waiting for the bell to ring.

One after the other the camera pans over the two fighters. Todo is calm and unfaced as usual. When the lens hits Bakugo tears well up again. He is livid in every sense. The smile is menacing, not his usual battle happy. He is slightly crouched and ready for anything to hit him. Silence spreads in the crowd in anticipation.

“Start!” rings out and so does an ice wave. The colossal shapes gush towards Bakugo and you ball up your hands. This wave is bigger than any of his other first moves. This one was for you. You’re sure the hothead is deflecting with all his might, but you cannot help but feel a bit happy when the ice surrounds him.

“Has the winner been decided already!?” Mic says and you brush it off. It’s definitely not over yet. Not a chance.

The camera is visibly shaking in a rhythmic pattern. Past the tears you see cracks starting to form in the mountain of ice. A few more shakes and an eruption happens. At its centre Bakugo has emerged from the ice in a blast. Shoto seemingly wanting to avoid close combat leaps backward.

Bakugo grips the ice ledge in front of him using it as a perge to blast off from. He sores towards your best friend closing the distance fast. Shoto readies an attack but just as they are about to impact Katsuki makes a small explosion to the side making him roll midair and dodge any attack coming his way. Giving him a straight path to take down the boy in front of him. He grips his shoulder and forehead still in the air using the momentum to fling Todo around and throw him towards the ground.

Shoto swings around catlike in the air and regains his balance on a wave of ice while avoiding going out of bounds. Gliding in a circle around the hothead the distance closes again. Shoto deflects an explotion making Bakugo open to an attack from his fire side. A breath gets caught in your throat as you both want him to give the next blow and then not.

He seemed to have decided not to use fire this time again and instead pushed Bakugo off to the side. They both glide to a stop in front of each other and the camera is quick to try and capture them both. Shoto with his head bent and Bakugo is in full fury mode.

Shoto gets to his feet and locks eyes with the other boy again. Ice is creeping up one of his cheeks. “I’ll show you what’ll happen if you make a fool of me!” you hear Bakugo shout out. “If you have no intention of winning, don't stand in front of me!” not having used his full force Bakugo is livid with your friend. The hothead runs forward once more.

A new voice rings out. “Todoroki!” the camera finds Midoriya. “Don’t lose! Do your best!”

Shoto is tense and unsure. You see his internal struggles practically screaming from his body. Katsuki is close as he blasts off. Ice is evaporating from Shotos right arm and he starts to burn from his left side. Soon he is engulfed and aims out this hand to use the fire on his opponent.

Katsuki setting up his next attack he blasts shifting from one side to the other making a whirlwind blasting him forward.

In the same instant Shotos flames die and he once again turns limp as he stands there. Bakugos biggest explosion hits its mark perfectly and fill the stadium. Happy you’re not on the receiving end of it you still wish Todo would have put up a fight.

The ice is blasted off the field and smoke is slowly creeping away as you can do nothing but look on. You already know the outcome and your heart sinks even further. Shoto os sprawled on the ice outside the bounds while Bakugo is flat on the ground still inside.