Prologue

Slowly I walked up the cobblestone pathway toward the huge three-story, white plantation style home. Ms. Ledin gestured for me to hurry and catch up with her since I had stopped halfway up the path to gawk up at this huge house that would now be my new home.

I remember my mom telling me all about her best friend Caroline, how close they use to be in high school, thick as thieves she would say, at least before they got married and had kids of their  own. They had managed to stay in contact with one another through letters, pictures of each other's kids, and meeting up to have a quick visit over lunch whenever they could.

Yet I can honestly say that in my fourteen years of my life I don't remember much about Caroline or her kids, having only ever met them maybe once or twice as a small child. I only knew that she had two boys, twins I think and that was only because Ms. Ledin informed me of this on the drive over here from the temporary foster home I was placed in after the reading of my mother's will.

Blowing out an anxious breath, I quickened my pace to fall in line behind Ms. Ledin and I hung my head, letting the sadness and despair of losing my mother wash over me. She had just recently been killed in a car accident, hit by a drunk driver while she was on her way to my school play.

I remember bits and pieces from that day, the brief image of her packing my lunch as I eat a bowl of cereal as I jabbered excitedly about the play opening that night, a quick peck to her cheek as I bolted from the car to head into school, being pulled off the stage by my principal Mr. Voss, him giving me the gut wrenching news that my mother had been in an accident, sitting in the waiting room of the hospital with Mr. Voss as the doctor informed me that my mother had passed before the ambulance even made it to her.

Everything else was clouded over in a blur of events, Mr. Voss guiding me out of the hospital, being driven home in a state of shock, to be met by my Aunt Irma my mother's older sister, whom she didn't really get along with or have much contact, but they were sisters never the less.

The funeral and reception that followed days later passed by me without much acknowledgment from myself, I pushed myself into the darker parts of my mind, not ready to face the pain of losing my only parent. I was beyond shell shocked at the loss of my mother, she was all I've ever had since I never knew my father. I still hadn't allowed myself to cry at the loss of her.

At first several family members fought over who would retain custody of me and become the executor to the money she had left for me in a trust, with my Aunt being the front runner. My mom had inherited a large sum of money from her Grandmother, no one was sure exactly how much it was. Yet for whatever reasons my Aunt Irma was left out of the Grandmother's will, which was one of the many reasons the two hardly spoken to each other since before I was born.

Yet after the reading of her will where it was stated that the money would be frozen into an account for me until I was twenty-five years old and only an allotted sum would be removed if I decided to go to college at which time, I would have to fill out the paperwork for the money to be removed and transferred directly to the college of my choosing.

Also, the executor of the account would receive a specific sum of money monthly for my needs and well being until I reached my 25th birthday, after which they would receive an undisclosed amount for caring for me. It also stated that if I was ill treated or harmed, they would forfeit any rights to their allotted sum.

Since I was only fourteen years old just a few weeks shy of my fifteenth birthday it would mean that this person who took me in would have to wait ten years to get paid and even then, it was unknown amount of money.

I had grown up with the knowledge that my mother didn't really care that much for her family and I knew my mother never really trusted any of them, I just didn't realize the extent of it until I heard the stipulations printed out in her will.