Agony and Despair

(Dimitri)

Staring up at the ceiling I tried to figure out whether or not I had actually got any sleep this time around. It was rare, but on occasion I managed to get a few hours here or there.

Glancing toward my window I noticed the sun had just barely started to break through the night's darkness. I dreamed of her again, of Mia. Feeling her perfect flesh under my fingers, kissing her beautiful mouth. Closing my eyes, I tried to shove aside the images of our mate, as I prepared myself to face another day, week, month and probably year without her, with no word or idea where she could be.

(Mitri... you awake?) my twin brother and Co-Alpha grunted through our link, sounding just as plagued and worn out as I was. (Yeah Dant... I'm awake.) letting out a deep sigh as I felt the shared pain that my brother and I had, passing it back and forth through our bond as we both tried to push away images of Mia. (I need to let my wolf out... and just run.) Dante my serious, stern twin stated simply as he struggled to wrangle in his emotions from our missing mate. (me too brother... me to.) shaking away my lack of sleep, I threw my blanket off and reluctantly climbed out of my bed. (I'll meet you in the back yard in ten minutes.) Dante announced with determination. Of the two of us, he was the one who could push pass the pain and focus his rage and frustration on something else or channel it into running or training. (Okay.) I reluctantly stood up and stretched out my tired naked muscles, padded over to my dresser pulling out a pair of grey basketball shorts and quickly slipped them on.

Yawning from my restless night I threw open the kitchen door and found my brother in a pair of black shorts, already in the yard stretching and jumping in place preparing for our run.

"Let's go." he snarled in frustration like most mornings, without even bothering to look at me. Yawning once again, I walked over and stretched out my back.

"Ready." I stated slipping off my shorts as he did the same. We both burst forth in our wolf forms ready to run off our anger.

At first glance our wolves looked almost identical, but there were slight differences. We were both dark grey with black streaks running along our backs, Dante's were wider, were as mine ran down my sides on to my back flanks. Shaking out our fur to loosen up, we both shot forward racing into the forest lining the back yard.

Dante swiftly pulled ahead, I felt fury coming off him in waves as images from his dream started to flood our mind link. At first it was just Mia when she first arrived, smiling, laughing. Then it switched to her reaching out for him, yelling, crying, begging him to find her. They were gut wrenching to watch as they flickered across both our minds.

This was why he needed to run, to get out his guilt of not finding her and bringing her back

This was why he needed to run, to get out his guilt of not finding her and bringing her back. I knew exactly how he felt, because I woke up with the same guilt haunting me. Frustrated that we could never track her scent beyond the Havencrest borders, as if something was blocking or masking her scent from us.